The challenge from the seniors

Hamline’s seniors recently celebrated being only 100 days away from graduation, and even fewer when this issue hits the stands. The Class of 2017 marks a major turning point in Hamline’s history, as they are the first graduating class to have used the Anderson Center their entire collegiate life. This is on top of all of the outstanding scholarship, athletic triumphs, exceptional creations and more that this class has achieved throughout its time here.

It certainly is a cause for celebration, but it also issues a challenge for all students at Hamline. From those who just joined Hamline as transfers or first-years to those who’ve been at Hamline for years, the senior class has just said to you “beat that.”

What have you done while you were here? Have you had a paper presented at a conference? Have you performed in a play? Have you made friends with that interesting-looking person on your floor? Have you joined a student organization? Have you started an organization? Have you explored Greek life? Have you made something you thought was crazy but turned out amazing? College is a time for learning in all facets of life, not simply the academic.

Hamline has groups ranging from political organizations to sports clubs to our very own online radio station to a group that plays board games together. Chances are that someone you know is involved in something interesting outside of class. Ask them about it. What drew them to that organization? Why do they like it? Do you think that you’ll like it?

But not only that, what have you done to explore the city, broaden your cultural horizons or learn about yourself? There’s so much that you can learn off-campus during your four years here. Has one of your friends told you about some T.V. show they think you’ll love? Watch a few episodes. Heard about a movie you need to watch? Give it a try. Have you looked into the Twin Cities’ vibrant music, art or theater scenes? Find a show that sounds intriguing and some friends and go. This breadth of opportunity is what makes going to a school like Hamline interesting.

The bottom line is that you have the power to make your college experience. It sounds corny, like some hack motivational speaker that your boss hired said it as part of a team-building exercise, but it’s true. It doesn’t matter if you want to start a business later on or if you want to form an electro-polka-rock band at Hamline, the only thing stopping you is you. There are students here who never thought they would be the students they are when they left high school. The reason is that they took risks, like joining an organization or asking that one special person out or even just applying to Hamline. You can make these the best years of your life with ease if you allow yourself to.

Everyone in the Class of 2017 has done something incredible. Still, the question remains to everyone in the Classes of 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021: what can you do to top that?