Week in sports, March 6

Melanie Hopkins

Sophomore Jordan Hansen fights for control of the puck in a game against St. Thomas on March 2.

Levi Jones, Sports Editor

Women’s Hockey @St.Thomas 0-2 L

For the second year Hamline’s Women’s hockey team made their way into the MIAC Championships. The game saw St.Thomas looking to take the title from Hamline, who had won it last year, when they beat Gustavus Adolphus. Both teams have had stellar seasons and both are ranked top five in the nation. The pressure was on as the game began. St.Thomas was the first to score, part way through the first period. Hamline was able to prevent any more goals in the first. Come the second period Hamline gave up a second goal. Down two to zero the team needed a serious comeback. The team stepped up and stopped St.Thomas from scoring again. Unfortunately the team did not see the same success on offense and were unable to get any goals past. Hamline ended the game with thirty shots on goal to St.Thomas’ twenty eight. Hamline’s top shooter was first-year Molly Garin, who took seven shots. Second was sophomore Jordan Hansen with an additional five shots. The hope for Hamline is not entirely gone yet, as the NCAA III Women’s Hockey bracket is to be revealed on Monday Mar. 10. While the team does not qualify for the automatic inclusion that comes from winning the championship game, they still have the chance to be accepted due to their fantastic performance this year.

Men’s Track and Field NCAA Last Chance Meet

The big name of the NCAA Last Chance Meet was junior Frank Gustafson. Running the mile, Gustafson beat both his best time by four seconds, and the meet’s best time. This placed him in second with a time of 4:13.1. With this meet being a NCAA III championship qualifying meet, Gustafson may be given the opportunity to go to the NCAA III championships later this year. This accomplishment was followed up by great performances by senior Alberto Mendez, who placed sixth in the 400 meter and 17th in the 200 meter.

Men’s Tennis @St.Thomas 4-5 L

The Hamline Men’s tennis team has not beaten St.Thomas in over a decade. As the teams set up to meet, Hamline hoped to change that. The game started with two wins from Hamline in the singles rounds. One from junior Jake Trondson who pulled off a 6-0 and 6-1 win over his opponent. The other singles win came from Trondson’s teammate, first year Elias Ramirez who beat his opponent with scores of 6-1, 4-8 and 10-0. The rest of the singles games went to St.Thomas putting the score at 2-4 going into doubles. This put Hamline in a tough position as they would have to win all three of the doubles matches to take home the win. The pipers managed to tie it up as Trondson partnered up with sophomore Nazeer Robinson to win 8-1. The First year duo of Ramirez and first year Tou Ger Xiong won their game 8-5. This meant that the final doubles game would determine the winner of the night. Unfortunately, the final duo fell and Hamline ended up losing 4-5. The pipers now hold a record of 3-3 with 0-2 in the MIAC.