Before the cold hits

How students feel about being sick, and its effect on attendance.

As the cold season gets worse, students will normally catch a cold – whether it be a small common cold, or a stronger virus. There are times where sickness isn’t inhibiting enough for students to miss their classes, however there are also times when sickness can affect student’s performance. Students are then faced with these options; staying home, going to a clinic, or going to class despite their condition.

Sophomore Oubeida Ouro-Akondo experienced this dilemma last year, when she got strep throat twice in one year – she hasn’t gotten sick at all yet this year though, stating that she is proud of her immune system. The first time she came down with strep last year, she went to class anyways.

“The first time I couldn’t really afford to miss any of my classes so I just went to all of them and couldn’t talk because my throat was fat and swollen,” Ouro-Akondo said.

Oubeida went to Hamline Health Services, and received penicillin which helped soothe her symptoms. The second time, however, Oubeida experienced the strep throat much worse, and had to go to the ER. She did take the penicillin again when she got sick the second time, but after taking it her symptoms didn’t go away.

“The second time I missed the first few days of my spring semester classes, so I had to email all of the professors so they wouldn’t kick me out for missing the first few days,” Ouro-Akondo said. “My grades weren’t affected because I took the steps to let my professors know.”

First-year Ken Vang also became sick this year, experiencing a small common cold due to the quick change in the weather. He admitted that he doesn’t like to miss class, even while being sick, so despite coming down with a cold at one point, he still hasn’t missed any of his classes yet this semester.

“Missing one day of class will definitely make me fall behind,” Vang said. “My health is always my number one priority though so if I can’t go to class, I would definitely let my professor know.”

Sophomore Emma Remillard also got sick recently, but it didn’t cause her to miss class at all because she was still well enough to go.

“I can see why being sick could impact someone’s grades, but it didn’t impact mine because I was still well enough to complete my assignments and attend class,” Remillard said.

All three of the students, in email interviews, gave some tips on how to avoid getting sick this year, as the weather gets colder and colder. Vang gave quite a lot of advice;

“Getting the flu-shot is a great way to battle against the cold. Also taking care of your well-being and dressing for the weather can play a lot in the long-run. You may also consider eating warm soup or drink some hot tea if you are cold like I usually do in the morning,” Vang said.

Both Remillard and Ouro-Akondo gave advice along the same lines, saying that if you drink water, wash your hands, eat healthy and exercise regularly – essentially taking care of yourself even when you’re not sick – that your immune system will be more prepared for fighting colds in the winter months. Missing class is agreeably something students would like to avoid, so preparing for colds before they hit is very important!