Weekly MIAC Round-Up: October 1 to October 8

Football

@ St. Olaf L 33-40

Light rain fell on October 7, as the Pipers made their way onto the Ollies’ homefield. The homefield advantage and weather gave the Ollies a major advantage as they finished the first quarter strong with a 6-21 lead.

The Pipers rallied for the rest of the game. Hamline refused to let St. Olaf advance their lead in the second quarter, matching every point earned by the Ollies. Determined to win, the Pipers’ offense scored seven points in the third while defense blocked all of St. Olaf’s attempts.

Going into the last quarter the score remained 26-34 in favor of the Ollies. St. Olaf knew that they had to stop the Pipers from gaining on them and scored a touchdown. The Pipers quickly returned fire, setting the score 33-40. After a series of back and forth, St. Olaf was deemed the winner.

Women’s Soccer  

@ Augsburg L 0-2

Facing off Augsburg, the MIAC leaders, one thing was sure that Hamline Women’s Soccer had to be on their A-game. The Auggies came out kicking, scoring two goals within the first period. The Pipers aggressively took on the second period getting two fouls in less than five minutes. Despite their efforts and a hail mary shot from senior, midfield Brittany Backman, Hamline lost the game 0-2.

Men’s Soccer 

@ Augsburg T 1-1

After a 3-2 victory at Viterbo, Hamline’s Men’s Soccer team also went face-to-face against the Auggies. Taking a line from the Augsburg women’s team, the Auggie men came out strong in the first period. Ending the first half with a 0-1 Auggie lead, the Pipers needed to act fast. With only three minutes left of the match, sophomore forward Adam King kicked a last minute attempt that tied the game 1-1. After two overtime periods, neither team was able to score creating a 1-1 tie between the Auggies and Pipers.

Women’s Cross Country

@St. Catherine’s Invitational, 3rd Place

The Pipers were ready to run at the St. Catherine’s Invitational meet on October 7. First-year Helen Dolan was the first Piper to cross the finish line at 19:49.16 coming eighth place of

eighty-five finishers. Hamline’s pack running paid off at St. Kate’s with first-year Madeline Dopp finishing in ninth at 19:51.22. Followed by sophomore Bernadette Hayden (19:53.56), senior Meg Griffin (20:04.03) and senior Holly Hankins (20:46.32). The team totaled seventy-one points for the meet, putting them in third ahead of Macalester Alumni and St. Catherine.

Men’s Cross Country,

@ St. Catherine’s Invitational, 2nd Place

The rainy weather could not slow sophomore Frank Gustafson down at the St. Catherine’s Invitational meet. Finishing the 4k run in 12:40.09, Gustafson took second place out of thirty-one finishers. On Gustafson’s heels was senior Sam Jewson, followed by; junior Kyle Mehrhof, sophomore Fernando Benitez and junior Tony Duchenes. The top five finishers scored a total of forty-two points for the Pipers putting them in second, behind St. Thomas.