Playoffs in sight for Pipers

A six-game winning streak has Hamline in contention in the competitive MIAC.

Gino Terrell, Reporter

Things have started to come together for the Hamline women’s basketball team as they rebounded from an 0-5 start to reach a record of 12-11 (12-8 MIAC), putting them in reach of a potential playoff berth.

Earlier this season, after their fourth loss, head coach Kerri Stock said, “we can get better, and we will get better.”

Her prediction proved true. Two games later, they won their first game of the season and never looked back. The team was rolling on a six-game winning streak before last Saturday’s loss versus Concordia.

In their first meeting at Moorhead Jan. 12, Hamline defeated Concordia in overtime 73-66.

“We know they’re going to come out ready to play,” team captain senior Kara Poirier said before the game. “Little do they know we are more determined.”

In the first half, the Pipers took a 32-30 lead. In the second half, the Pipers were in control for the first 12 minutes of play until Concordia struck back.

Concordia took a commanding 61-49 lead with about five minutes remaining.

A layup by sophomore guard Jordan Sammons, a three-pointer by senior guard Stephanie Pilgrim, another three by junior guard Je’Naya Brown and two free throws made by Sammons built a 10-2 run that put the game in reach as the Pipers were only down 63-59 with two-and-a-half minutes remaining.

Unfortunately for the Pipers, Concordia was able to pull away with a 74-61 victory. A loss by St. Olaf last Saturday would have helped the Pipers clinch the playoffs. However, St. Olaf managed to edge out Augsburg with a 67-64 win.

The Pipers still have a good chance to make the playoffs as they control their own destiny with a two game lead over St. Olaf. The Pipers only need to win one of their next two games or have St. Olaf lose one of their next two games to lock up a playoff sport.

As captain of the team, Poirier said in this type of situation she would usually have an obligation to motivate the team. However, she said with this team leadership from a single person has not been necessary. She said all 12 players on the team are just as determined to make the push.

“[We are] all on the same page and have the same goal: to make the playoffs and then some,” she said. “It [has been] since day one, and now we have that in our sights.”

Stockwell is proud of her team’s success and perseverance to get to where they are now.

“Our players have created this opportunity for themselves. It was not handed to them; it hasn’t been easy. We’ve earned where we are right now,” Stockwell said.

Concordia, St. Benedict, St. Mary’s, St. Thomas and Gustavus have already clinched playoff spots. With a win over Bethel tomorrow night at Hutton Arena, the Pipers would earn the final spot and make their first playoff appearance since 2009.

The players are proud of how this season has gone.

“I couldn’t ask for a better tem my senior year,” Poirier said.