Seniors reminisce on achievements

Hamline football has transformed for the better over the past four years despite losing to Macalester on Saturday.

Alex Piche, Reporter

The Hamline football team lost at Macalester on Saturday, Nov. 16, 7-0 in their final game of the season. The Pipers finished the season 2-8 overall and 1-7 in the MIAC.

Hamline had some struggles this season, but they also managed to have their best season in the past 3 years after going 0-10 in 2011 and 1-9 last season.

The loss at Macalester was also the final Hamline football game for the six Piper seniors: Charles Jones, Derek Wilson, Charlie Miller, Erik Wong, Patrick Chilton, and Gabe Martinez as they all finished their college careers on Saturday.

The game was a defensive battle as both teams traded field position with punts and turnovers, but neither could pull any continuous offense together. Macalester scored a touchdown on their second possession after getting good starting field position after a Hamline interception gave them the ball inside the Piper 40-yard-line.

Going into Saturday’s game, Hamline still had much to play for despite their 2-7 record going in. The Macalester rivalry game is something Hamline football players look forward to playing in every year no matter how the season goes. In a rivalry that goes back to 1887, Saturday marked the 114th time that the two schools, who played on Snelling Avenue, met on the football field.

The battle for the paint bucket has become one of Hamline’s biggest games over the years and gives the players a chance to play for a trophy every year. In the days before the game, some of the seniors spoke about what the Macalester rivalry meant to them and the team.

“For the seniors this is the biggest game of our career, we know the feeling of owning the bucket and we want it back. The younger guys on the team haven’t experienced this yet, and I can tell they are hungry,” Wilson said.

Wong agreed.

“The game against Macalester is a big one, the rivalry for the paint bucket has been going on for years – having played here since my freshmen year. … It’s a big game for us as seniors,” Wong said.

Chilton said the seniors saw this as an opportunity to cement their legacy.

“This game is a very big deal. Since this rivalry began, Macalester has only won a handful of times…the seniors are sort of treating this as our final step towards putting this team back on track,” Chilton said.

Hamline was not able to win on Saturday. Although they were close throughout the entire game and had a chance with the ball in the final minutes, they were ultimately stopped at the Macalester 35-yard-line on the final play of the game.

The Pipers were out rushed by the Scots 216 yards to 87, and were only out passed by a margin of 83 yards to 40 yards. However, the one thing that hurt them was turnovers. Five interceptions and one lost fumble kept them in poor field position for most of the game, and gave Macalester a very short drive when they managed to score their only touchdown.

Wilson, Wong and Chilton were also able to speak about how they felt going into their final game as a Piper.

“It’s pretty surreal going into the last game of my Piper football career. Time really does fly, but looking back I love every second I’ve spent with all of my great teammates,” Wilson said. “My feelings as a senior playing my last game as a Piper, are excitement, nervous[ness], a little sad[ness]. At the end of every season you always know what’s going to happen next, a couple weeks off to rest then go right back into training for next season. For the first time in years, I don’t know what’s going to happen next and I know I’m going to miss it, but right now I’m just going to focus on the game,” Wong said.

Chilton shared his thoughts.

“It’s very bittersweet. Obviously finishing with a much more successful season than the team has had in a while is awesome, and knowing that I played a role in that means a lot. Ending a chapter in my life like this, especially with an amazing group of players and coaches like this, is tough,” Chilton said.

In their final days as senior leaders on the Hamline football team they each shared what the experience has meant to them over the years.

“The best part of my time at Hamline has been spending time playing, working out, and just hanging out with my best friends. The record doesn’t reflect the fun I’ve had playing the best sport in the world. My advice [to younger teammates] would be take advantage of the time you have because it’s over before you know it. And most of all never let football stop being fun, because it’ll be the best memories of your life,” Wilson said.

Wong revealed what he’d miss most about Hamline football.

“My time on the Hamline football team has meant a lot to me. I met some interesting people throughout my time on the team. Some people who I never would have met or gotten to know throughout my time here. I’m going to miss walking through the tunnel from the locker room to the field, that short walk before a game was always soothing to me. I’m going to miss playing in front of the home crowd, especially the night game against Carleton. I’ve had a lot of fun the last four years and I’m sad that it has to end,” he said. “My advice for returning players [is that] Coach [Chad] Rogosheske is the best head coach I’ve had here. He knows what he is doing; the program is in great hands. Keep the grind going, keep working hard and the end will justify the means.”

Chilton said he’s had fun during his time with the team as well.

“It’s been an awesome time. The guys who are on the team this year and the core group who has stuck it through with all the ups and downs are all my brothers. I wouldn’t want to go out on the field with anybody but them. We didn’t really have the most success, but we always stuck together and worked hard, and that’s what is going to stick with me,” Chilton said while also urging his younger teammates to “never stop grinding. Every day presents a new challenge, and you just have to meet it head on.”