Teamwork is the name of the game

The Pipers defeat Augsburg with key team communication as the team looks to claim a playoff spot late in the season.

Alex Piche, Reporter

The Hamline women’s soccer team continued their recent run of success this week in their latest games. With Saturday’s, Oct. 19, 1-0 win over Carleton, the Pipers have won four out of their last five games.

After losing a close game 1-0 against Concordia on Oct. 12, the Pipers came back three days later to face Augsburg at home on Oct. 15. The team ensured this time that offensive struggles would not continue against Concordia, as they were able to get the first goal of the game in the first couple of minutes of the first half.

With 39:05 remaining in the first-half, sophomore midfielder Aubrey Stenson was able to deflect a pass from sophomore midfielder Eden Behrens past the Auggie goalie, and into the net to put the Pipers up 1-0. The goal was Stenson’s first of the season.

“We have been working on set plays from throw-ins,” Stenson said. “When the ball dropped between Cari and I, I realized they weren’t stepping up and pressuring. I was able to take a touch and flick it in.”

Having been previously shut out in their last game, gaining the lead early in the game was vital for the team.

“It was important for us to get an early goal and set the tone for the game,” Stenson said. “Augsburg is a good team and we knew we had to come out strong and intense. It was a good game to get our confidence back since we haven’t scored a whole lot lately, but now we know we can.”

Despite getting an early goal, Augsburg was able to tie the game at 1-1 just six minutes later. Unfortunately, the Auggie forward was able to sneak in uncovered and kick a loose ball into the Piper net with 32:55 remaining in the first-half.

The remainder of the first half was evenly matched as the teams traded scoring chances, but no one was able to convert. It appeared as though the half would end in a tie, but with 30 seconds left, first-year defender Malya Hirschkowitz was fouled, and Hamline was given a free-kick from about 20 yards away.

As the clock wound down, the Pipers got into position so that they could get one last play in before halftime. With 17 seconds left, junior midfielder Kristen Berry took the free-kick. The ball sailed towards the goal where it was tipped by first-year midfielder Mallory Wirth to first-year forward Grace Nichols. Nichols was able to score her first collegiate goal to give the team the lead going into halftime by putting the team up 2-1. Berry and Wirth were given an assist on the goal.

Nichols expressed how it felt to have such a memorable goal.

“Honestly, it was refreshing,” Nichols said. “I was hoping to score earlier in the season, but am just glad that I was able to convert at such a vital time in our game and our season.”

She also described how she was able to capitalize on the game.

“I was following Mallory’s run into the box and watched it ricochet off of her so I wanted to be there in case it bounced my way,” Nichols said. “Luckily, it did after deflecting off the defender and back off of her shoulder. From there, I just did my best to stay composed and finish the shot.”

With the start of the second half, the Pipers were quick to strike again. Behrens was able to get open just a few feet from the Auggie goal, and when the ball came to her she did not miss to give Hamline a 3-1 lead. Assisting on the play were junior midfielders Nicole Verdoorn and Aileen Scheibner.

At that point, it looked as if the Pipers might pull away and win easily; however, Augsburg’s offense bounced back and forced Hamline to prove they were capable of defending their lead. The Pipers were up to the task, as the defense was the star of the remaining 40 minutes of play.

Every time the Auggies appeared to be getting close to cutting Hamline’s two goal lead, the defense quickly put a stop to any advances they made. Leading the way was first-year defender Mackenzie Zink who came up with several big defensive plays throughout the half. She credited the defensive success to teamwork, which was a key factor in the game.

“We [worked] as a group,” said Zink. “Not just the defensive unit, but the goalie and the midfielders. Everyone worked together to play team defense in Tuesday’s win.”

Going forward, communication is the most important factor for solid defense for the rest of the season. On Saturday Oct. 19, the team defeated Carleton 1-0 with a late goal by junior defender

Rachel Cervantez. Assisting the goal was Scheibner.

Despite not having to make one save thanks to stellar defense, junior goalie Erin Urbanowicz recorded the shut-out.

Three games remain in the season for Piper women’s soccer and, although they are not out of the playoff race yet, they need to maintain consistent play and get every point possible to improve their standing.

In the home stretch of the game, Behrens said the team needs to remain focused.

“[We have] to keep taking it one game at a time,” Behrens said. “To give it 100% always, work for each other, and most of all make this season another one to remember.”

The Pipers have one week to prepare for their next game against Bethel on Oct. 26, and will look to fight for a playoff spot.