Meet Stephen Anderson in his first year as Director of Disability Resources

Shelby St. Pierre

Director of Disability Resources Stephen Anderson sits at his desk.

Logan Micek, Reporter

Stephen Anderson is Hamline’s new Director of Disability Resources. Anderson has a long history of helping out those with disabilities through various methods. He graduated from Mankato State University, and since then he’s worked a variety of jobs involving working with those with disabilities. Not only has he worked as a TRIO Program adviser specifically for disabled persons for the Minneapolis Community and Technical College, he also has a background in theater and using it as a tool to educate others about disabilities. In working at MCTC, Anderson instructed students on classes to take and gave them general help in making their way through the college system.

Anderson was drawn to Hamline due to its reputation of having a close-knit community and says he felt it even during his interviewing process. When talking about being offered the job, he said it came as a “pleasant surprise.” 

As the Director of Disability Resources, Anderson’s job is to provide the accommodations needed in class for students. Anderson said “The accommodations are not meant to give them an advantage, but rather level the playing field.” Besides working on arrangements for students in class,  Anderson works with general issues of accessibility for all types of disabilities. He gives the sentiment that making things easier for those with disabilities makes things easier for everybody. 

Education about disability is also a key tenet of what Anderson hopes to get done. When talking about his position, Anderson said “I really want people to view this office as not just an office for those with disabilities. This is a resource office open to everyone.” If someone has questions, he wants them to feel free to stop by. 

As for what he hopes to get done in the future, Anderson says he wants to become familiar with the college and community while seeing what already works. Any changes he and his team have in mind he says will come gradually.