Alumni meet marks start of season

The aquatic center hosts the kick off to the swim and dive year.

Gino Terrell, Senior Reporter

The Pipers got their feet wet for the first time this year at the Hamline Alumni Meet last Saturday, Oct. 5, as the season is underway the swimming and diving squad set goals for this upcoming season.

Junior men’s swimmer and team captain Glenn Dworsky said the team has created some goals and are highly anticipating this season.

Junior Jerry Daniels, men’s swimmer and team captain, said when he was a first-year the men’s team had just six athletes, and this year they have 21.

“Just having the numbers to grow so much is outstanding,” Daniels said. “I can’t wait for the season to start…when we continue to grow like this it makes everyone excited.”

Sophomore Danielle Waskosky said the growth of the program was something that started last season.

“We had a lot of friendships growing and this year we added to that…along with the friendships, we’ll be more competitive this year: it should be a win-win combination,” she said.

Her goal this season is to make nationals as a diver.

Daniels explained the team’s mentality is completely different than in previous years. The lack of depth on the roster deflated the confidence of the athletes going into meets, but now Daniels feels the athletes are more confident with team support behind them.

“This year with the amount of talent…and the new coaching staff…we can finally go out to say we can win this meet and we can win by a lot,” he said.

The program’s recent growth is credited to head coach Ryan Hawke in Dworsky’s eyes.

“We have a new coach and he gives some insight on potential,” Dworsky said.

This season, all members will have a leadership role and the program will help make each individuals grow as leaders. Dworsky feels this will also help make the team more competitive and make the program stronger; all of which are emphasized under Hawke’s coaching philosophy.

Dworsky also pointed out Hawke’s success at River Falls.

“If you look at Ryan’s record in the past with River Falls, it’s actually been pretty positive,” he said. “Everyone’s excited about this year, to see what we can do with our new coach. I know he’s always excited to be on the pool deck.”

Hawke said that he’s happy to be leading the Pipers and that it’s been a smooth transition.

“I’ve been having a lot of fun, it’s been a nice change of atmosphere,” he said. “I’m still flabbergasted that people are talking about the team…I’m very pleased swimming is actually looked upon as a sport here and it’s actually recognized.”

The team’s spirit is also something Hawke admired.

“This group of student athletes has really been coming together,” he said. “They have been really supportive of each other and embracing the fact that they are Pipers and that they are representing Hamline.”

The team feels good about the new additions and their progress during the offseason.

“I think we’ve all gotten better and there’s a few new people so that helps quite a bit…it should be a good season,” sophomore Jennie Dwyer, women’s distance swimmer, said.

With a combination of goals for the season and open communication, the athletes should be on the same page, according to Dworsky. He feels they could make their mark this year with personal records, team records and an opportunity for a few athletes to make the NCAA B-cut.

One thing that is not lost with this group is that swimming is a team sport.

Dworsky cited a saying: “Swimming is a team sport and it’s also an individual sport.”

Daniels went on to explain the team effort.

“Although swimming can be based on individual talent, the individual talent is only as good as the team’s support,” he said. “The 30 people that are right next to you, they are all in your corner and they make you feel like you can do everything even if you feel you can’t. … Overall it’s the team’s support that you have behind you, which make you that much better as a swimmer.”

Daniels said the team has been working hard during the preseason, and believes it will pay off once the season starts.

“With the coaching that we are having now at the beginning of the season, we are kind of having our butts kicked, but it’s okay because in these first couple of weeks it’s going to pay off.”

After all, Dworsky quoted Hawke: “Work hard now and you’ll see results later.”