Upperclassmen craft compositions

Students showcase their creativity at composition concert.

Hannah Kolbeck, Reporter

Hamline composers came together this Thursday, Dec. 4 in Sundin Hall to debut their musical creations and take attendees on a ride through their respective creative processes. Six students, seniors Megan Thompson, Alyssa Skinner, Will Vivic, Joe Hill and Marty List-Tesdell, and junior Melissa Thompson, introduced their pieces before having them performed for the first time in front of an audience. Professor of Composition Janika Vandervelde mediated the concert and allowed each student to explain their work and writing process.

Megan Thompson, a senior Music Composition major, presented her piano and clarinet duet, “Two Variations.” Music Professors Janet Greene and Kathy Thomsen performed the piece on the stage. Megan has participated in the concert since it was first introduced at Hamline three years ago.

“It’s a great opportunity to showcase my work. I look forward to being able to show my work to my friends and the public,” Megan said. “I also really enjoy being able to sit in the audience to hear my own piece being performed. I compose on the computer, so it’s a treat to hear my music come out of actual instruments and not lifeless computer speakers.”

Megan is also currently working on a string quartet. Her senior recital will be next semester, May 1, where many of the other pieces will be presented.

Alyssa Skinner sang a song she composed with the accompaniment performed on guitar by Music Professor David Crittenden. Melissa Thompson played a piano piece she wrote from inspiration found during a labyrinth walk. Will Vicic’s piece, “Prelude,” with two guitars, was performed by both himself and David Crittenden. Kathy Thomsen performed Joe Hill’s piano transformative piece, “Winter Winds.” Marty List-Tesdell’s piece, “Fleeting Away,” a piano and clarinet duet using chords built on fourths, ended the concert for the afternoon.