MIAC meet marks end of season

The men’s placed third as the women’s placed fifth at the MIAC Outdoor Championships.

Gino Terrell, Senior Reporter

“Commitment” is what senior Andrew Ferguson said is essential to succeed in track and field. “It’s a long road with a lot of ups and downs, but if you stick with it and keep working hard, you’re going to accomplish a lot,” he said.

Ferguson was able to see the team’s hard work payoff at the MIAC Outdoor Championships on Friday, May 9 and Saturday, May 10 as the Pipers earned enough points to place third at the meet. For the women’s track and field, sophomore Marolyn Saulsberry won the 400 meter hurdles championship as the team came in fifth place.

Before the meet, sophomore Tom Larson said the team’s goal was to finish top three in conference. He was also confident in his individual performance in the 100 meter and 200 meter dash.

“In the 100 [meter], 200 [meter, it] would be nice to come home with a championship [but] for everyone it’s bigger,” Larson said. “We all kind of push to get extra points for the team, it’s pretty selfless for most of the guys.”

At the meet, Larson was able to come out victorious in the 100 meter dash and he finished second in the 200 meter dash.

Beforehand he said he would be content with improving but it wouldn’t be the same without having the title.

“Anytime I get a PR [personal record], anytime I’m making improvements in myself, I’m always happy, but there’s always that nagging feeling that it’s always nice to finish first,” Larson said.

Along with Larson, senior Amani Lee recorded a first place finish as he won the triple jump event.

Ferguson forecasted that the Pipers would do well at the outdoor conference meet and he attributed it toward the team’s commitment throughout the season.

“I’ve been seeing hard work this fall; everyone’s ready for this,” Ferguson said.

Coming into the meet, women’s senior Alana Profit said she was shooting to score in the top five for discus and earn a qualification for nationals, as she was five feet away in discus. However, Profit said she was more concerned with how the team fared at the meet.

“Every year it becomes less about you and more about how the team does,” Profit said.

Profit explained that as a first-year she was excited to be a sprinter and thrower. Her main focus then was succeeding as an individual to help the team.

“This year I don’t care if I get beat, as long as it’s someone on our team. I’m all for that,” Profit said.

Profit added that this year’s throwers were “so awesome” to watch.

“It seems that every meet one of the throwers was getting a PR in weights,” Profit said.

Day one of the conference meet, Profit finished third in the discus, and senior Ty Scott was fourth. Other top field performers that day included junior Jessica Putland who finished third in the hammer throw followed by junior Erin Urbanowicz, who placed fourth.

Marolyn and sister Carolyn Saulsberry recorded the top finishes on day two of the meet. Marolyn won the 400 meter hurdles and Carolyn’s effort in the triple jump placed her second.

Marolyn said the mentality she and her sister Carolyn bring to meets is why they have been able to find early success and continue to improve this season.

“What made us able to beat people was just the fact that we wanted it enough,” Marolyn said. “That doesn’t mean I think I’m better than people, it just means that I don’t know my limit, but I’m going to try to win. If I can’t then I can’t; I don’t want to go out there like I should have run faster.”

Marolyn added she went through an intense weight training program that was unlike anything she’s ever done.

“[Weight-lifting] was the thing that was pivotal in me reaching that next step because I didn’t really do any intense weights last year,” she said. “I’ve learned that I have a lot more ability than I think.”

Although Marolyn said the weight-lifting program was a challenge, as she had to perform new exercises and lift heavy weights, she didn’t think she’d be able to lift; in retrospect she said it has greatly benefited her.

“I’ve never thought I could be this strong and I’ve been breaking down times in almost every race and it’s just kind of fun to be able to think that I can actually be at that level,” Marolyn said.

Larson said in his case, gradually training himself back into shape was crucial for his improvement from the indoor to outdoor season.

Larson had missed the team’s training in January while he was studying abroad. He said when he returned he focused on gradually getting back in shape, rather than trying to make up ground right away and jump into heavy running. He said his focus was on staying injury-free so he could gradually improve and not have to experience setbacks.

Larson said in addition to training there’s another important factor.

“Mindfulness,” he said. “Mindfulness of not only what you’re doing with your training but your lifestyle.”

Larson explained factors such as eating the right nutrients, getting adequate amounts of sleep and preventing extra weight from floating around their bodies are other factors that play into being a successful on the track.

“The big thing is be mindful of keeping that balance,” Larson said.

The NCAA D-III Outdoor Championships will run from May 22 through May 24. That date will mark the end of the collegiate careers of the remaining seniors on the track and field team who have qualified for nationals.

“I’m just going to miss the sports atmosphere, the competitive atmosphere, the relationships that you make, because there’s definitely special relationships when you’re on a track team,” Profit said.

Ferguson will miss the team’s camaraderie.

“[It’s] sad to finish off my track career. I met a lot of good friends through it, great teammates,” Ferguson said. “It’s been a good career.”