Catching up to speed

Hamline athletes have been busy with competition as the fall semester has brought new students, relaxed regulations and a closer-to-normal season.

Aidan Stromdahl
The ever-changing regulations and guidelines may become confusing for many students, but the rules for spectators this semester are simple.

Cathryn Salis, sports editor

All updates are as of Saturday, 9/18. For the most accurate and up to date stats, visit hamlineathletics.com

Competition came back swinging with the arrival of the fall semester, and Hamline athletes, already weeks into training in preparation for it, are more than ready. 

After an entire year without in-season games, the football team is hungry for any and all competition. The Pipers started strong, earning their first home win over Crown College on September 4. The final score was 54–38. Outside of Klas Field, Hamline had organized a cookout for students coming to watch the game and to increase the festivities for the opening game. 

The turnout of students was great and the energy in the stadium was high. The Piper football team has two more games coming up before the Homecoming game against Saint Scholastica on October 2. 

The women’s volleyball team has been crushing the competition lately, currently 6 and 3 overall. The Pipers played a tournament on September 10, hosting four St. Paul teams at Hutton Arena. Half of the wins the volleyball team currently holds were collected at this tournament. Only against Whitman have the Pipers played more than four sets per game.

The UW Lacrosse tournament spans Friday and Saturday, 9/17–18. Five teams are attending and the Pipers are hoping to walk away with a win or two from this tournament. This will be the last tournament-style competition the Pipers will play in until the MIAC playoffs in November. 

The pseudo-season the soccer teams had last year did nothing but fan the flame of competition for both the men’s and women’s players. The men’s team is currently standing at 2–4 and the women’s team is 3–1. 

The men’s soccer team has a sizable incoming first-year class, welcoming six new players to the field. Overtime has been necessary in four of the six games played, reflecting the Piper’s relentless fight. Conference games are just around the corner for the men’s team and Hamline is ready to show off our new jerseys to the MIAC.

The women’s team started the first day of the semester with a 4–0 win over UW-River Falls at home, and has won every home game since. Non-conference games will end before October starts and the Pipers are looking forward to continuing their two-game winning streak.

The cross country team has four invites this season before the MIAC and NCAA championships start at the end of October. The women’s team competed at the Bethel invite and took fifth place out of five. Sophomore Alexandra Maddux took 25th place in the 5K race, leading the Pipers. Hamline walked away with 139 points.

The men’s team also competed at the Bethel invite and put Hamline in place 6 of 7, scoring 184 points. First-year Aric Brodie took the lead for the Pipers in the 5K and finished in 32nd place. 

Men’s and women’s tennis teams traveled to Waverly, Iowa to play Wartburg College and Grand View University in a three-team tournament on September 11. Both Hamline teams left with an 0–2 record and are looking forward to the ITA Midwest Regional Tournament on the last weekend of September. 

Unlike last year, students are allowed to attend games and support their school in their athletic endeavors. Competition is not the same without the spectators and the Hamline athletic community encourages members of the community to show up and engage with Piper athletics. Learn the Piper Clap and support your peers on the field! 

Aidan Stromdahl
The women’s soccer team is having much success on the field with a winning record so far in the season. The team welcomed 11 new players to the field in August, including first-year Liana Woo from Centennial, Colorado. She played 90 minutes against St. Olaf College, proving to be a massive asset to the team.