Weekly MIAC round-up

The semester may be wrapping up but many sports seasons are weeks away from finishing, and the competitive spirit is alive and well in Hamline athletes.

Aidan Stromdahl
Junior Tara Deleo maintains posession during the women’s lacrosse match against Wartburg college.

Cathryn Salis, Sports Reporter

Lacrosse vs Wartburg 

April 21, 2021

W 18-3

The Hamline women’s lacrosse team came out of the gates swinging in their recent match against Wartburg. They scored four goals in the first four minutes and never let Wartburg catch their breath. Sophomore Michaela Arnold scored the first goal of both halves in each of the first possessions. 

This win over Wartburg has secured a portion of the Midwest Women’s Lacrosse Conference championship for the team for the third time. The Pipers are currently 5–0 in the MWLC and 7–4 overall this season.

Senior Alyssa Bryan-Jefferies performed strongly in goal to secure yet another win, and first-year Justine Case played the net for the last fifteen minutes of the second half.

The Pipers went into the second half with a 10–1 lead and were able to score eight more goals in the second half, netting number 11 two minutes into the last 40 minutes. They were successful in 16 of 17 clear attempts. 

Women’s lacrosse will start competition in the MWLC tournament playoffs during the last week of instruction for undergrad students. 

Baseball at University of Wisconsin Superior

April 21, 2021

W 5-4, W 19-2

Baseball took after women’s lacrosse on Wednesday, securing the lead at the very beginning of the doubleheader and not letting the reigns go. Junior Cullen Buck hit a single off the first pitch of the game and made it home off a failed pickoff, stealing third, and a wild pitch. 

The second inning started in a similar fashion, with first-year Colin Schuetz hitting a double and eventually making it home. In the next two innings, Hamline earned one run each and at the top of the fourth, the score was 4–0. The UW-Superior Yellowjackets scored four times in the next two innings and at the seventh inning, it was tied at fours, sending the game to an eighth.

Sophomore Stephen Schmidt was sent home by senior Zack Langston from first and that would be enough to secure the win for the Pipers after a strong performance in the bottom of the inning. 

The second game yielded the highest scoring game for the Hamline baseball team since 2016. The first inning was scoreless, the second ended 2–0 Hamline, and the third ended 12–0.

The Yellowjackets scored their two runs in the fifth inning but the Pipers kept the heat coming. It did not hurt that they were hit by nine pitches in this game, either. 

Hamline baseball is currently 3–5 in the MIAC and has many games to go for this season.

Aidan Stromdahl

Junior Lindsey Bernardy took frst place in the 400 meter dash and ran two other races.

Track and Field Hamline Showcase

April 22 and 23, 2021

The men’s and women’s track and field teams competed in our home showcase on Friday and Saturday as our last outdoor meet of the regular season. There were many highlights and complete heat sheets can be found on the Hamline athletics page.

For the women’s team, junior Lindsey Bernardy won the 400 meter dash, finishing at 1:00.28. Junior Madison Feicke competed in the javelin throw and earned a distance of 28.72 meters. Junior Alexandra Maddux won the 800 meter dash in 2:13.35, Bernardy only seven seconds behind her. Junior Janneel Rodney won the hammer throw, claiming a distance of 52.72 meters. 

First year Josh Lynch took the men’s pole vault competition, clearing 4.00 meters. Junior Christian Velishek won the men’s high jump at 1.92 meters as well as the 200 meter dash, finishing in 22.73. Sophomore Josh Peterson finished 0.17 seconds behind Velishek. 

Aidan Stromdahl
First year Josh Lynch won the men’s pole vault competition yet again, with a height of 4.00 meters.

For the most up-to-date calendar and stats and to watch live events, visit hamlineathletics.com.