80 percent of students change their mind

Various students first declared or changed majors during Major Declaration Week

Leslie Farrera-Perez, Reporter

Roughly 80% of college students change their major at least once, according to the National Center for Education Statistics. Many college students in the U.S. change their majors as many as six times before settling on their major of choice. During Major Declaration Week, several Hamline students declared their major for the first time while many others declared a new major.

A part of the 80% statistic, sophomore Laniesha Bisek considered changing her initial major plan.

“My original plan was to major in criminology and criminal justice. I then decided that I wanted to major in sociology instead with a couple minors to go along with it. I reached out to one of the faculty members of the Sociology Department and we set up a meeting to chat about what the sociology major is. We had a great discussion about what this major would have in store for me and the options I had. There were no difficulties with this process at all. There was a lot of great and clear communication which made the process easy,” Bisek said.

For many students, like Bisek, being unsure of what path to take in their college career can be stressful.

“I felt a little unsure about the major I had originally declared and I have been thinking about if the decision I made was correct ever since the first time. I second guessed my original plan. This originally caused a lot of stress with feeling unsure about what I wanted to do. Talking about changing my major and then declaring a new one resulted in stress relief and made me feel more confident about what I am wanting to do with my future,” Bisek said.

Bisek found that self-reflection led her to sociology. She recommends that students should follow their instincts.

“Really listen to yourself and what your heart speaks to. Make note of what classes intrigue you and push yourself to want to know more. If you don’t feel confident about the current major you declared, take that as a sign and look into more options and see if any other major makes you feel more passionate and gives you more excitement. You have a lot of time to decide on what you want to do and there are a ton of people who are here to help you,” Bisek said. 

Some students like Junior Jessie Luévano know what major they wanted to pursue from the very beginning.

“Coming into college, I knew I wanted to be a [political science] major. Because I did speech and debate and I read the news, and I liked it. So I was like, ‘Oh, this is for me,’ you know. And so when I got to college, and I started in poli sci, and from poli sci, I also found global studies. And so I’m a double major with poli sci and global studies. I ended up having global studies because of all the connections to poli sci. From there, I realized that global studies made it so I only needed two more classes to get a history minor,” Luévano said.

While Luévano was set on the Political Science major, she reconsidered the career she wanted after college.

“I came in and wanted to be a lawyer because I feel like most people coming into political science one up, and then as I did internships and stuff, I realized that I don’t want to be a lawyer, and I want to do policy work. And I learned that through internships and taking classes in political science,” Luévano said.

Luévano says that being a part of the 80% of college students that change their major is not a bad thing. It is normal for college students to change their minds about what path they want to take.

“You can always change your major if you declare, and then you can always, like, go back. And especially if you’re not double majoring or minoring, I think there’s still plenty of flexibility. So it’s like, take classes with things you’re interested in, go ahead and declare, and you can always change your mind later. Or if you’re going to change your major, not a big deal. You know?” Luévano said.