MIAC Roundup

Senior Jordan Hansen fights opponent during face-off.

Men’s Hockey

@Augsburg 1-5 L

For the first conference game of the MIAC the Men’s hockey team took on the returning champs from Augsburg. Hamline stood at 1-1 after splitting their games against Trine University. As the first period begun Hamline gave up a power play. Augsburg used their man advantage to get themselves on the board 1-0 at the fifteen minute mark. Not long after Augsburg followed it up with a second goal putting them up 2-0 at the end of the first. The second period saw Hamline give up an early power play which Augsburg quickly took advantage of. However this time Hamline wouldn’t allow a second. Sophomore Brandon Bissett pulled scored just thirty seconds after Augsburg. The rest of the second period went uneventfully. The third period saw two more goals from Augsburg ending the game 1-5 in Augsburg’s favor.

Men’s Hockey

Vs. Augsburg 2-5 L

After starting the season with three away games the pipers finally got to invite their opponent to friendly territory. For this game Hamline would play the second game against reigning champs Augsburg University. The game began with an early goal from Augsburg, it looked like Hamline would repeat their performance from the night prior. Fortunately junior Zach Lambrecht did not want that, tying the game 1-1 off of a power play. The second period saw a similar result, Augsburg scored within the first five minutes and Hamline responded around the seventeen minute mark, this time the point came from junior Kyle Wendorf. With the game tied 2-2 going into the third period Hamline had a chance to take down the champs. Yet Augsburg showed up in the third period and showed why it is they have won the MIAC Championship four years in a row. The game ended 2-5 Hamline is set to have two home games on Nov. 15 and 16 before heading out to play a few more away games.

Women’s Swim & Dive

Vs. Augsburg 186-30

In the head to head meet hosted by the Pipers the Women’s swim team took on Augsburg. The night began with first year Courtney Broyles taking first in both the 1M and 3M dives, right behind her was her teammate, sophomore Spencer Brady. First-year Sydney McCutchen raced her way to first in both the 100 and 200 backstroke. McCutchen was joined by first-year Sarah Wood, sophomore Alex Torgrimson and senior Bryce White to win the 200 medley relay. Wood then took first in both the 100 and 200 breaststroke and the 200 individual medley. Torgrimson took first in the 100 and 200 butterfly before teaming up with White, first-year Cailey Cimera, and Bennett Nigro to win the 400 relay. White took home the 100 freestyle while Cimera took the 200 freestyle. By the end of the night Hamline only gave up one event, the 50 freestyle. Their next meet will be against Gustavus Adolphus in their last home meet of the year.

Women’s Hockey

Vs. Concordia Wis. 6-1 W

Hamline welcomed Concordia Wisonson to TRIA Rink on Saturday Nov. 9. The Pipers were looking for their first win of the year. The team came out strong, scoring three times early in the first period. The first goal came from first year Mcheala Arnold, followed by a goal from junior Olivia Arkell, Arnold scored again for the third goal of the period. The second period started slow, 10 minutes in Concordia Wis. scored. Hamline responded to the goal with a goal of their own from sophomore Molly Garin. The third period started quickly with a second goal from Arkell. The game ended with a final goal from first-year Taylor Stefan. Hamline currently stands with a record of 1-1-1. Their next game will be against Augsburg on Nov. 15.

Football

Vs. St.John’s 0-70 L

With the last home game Hamline would have a tough opponent in St. johns. The Johnnies are currently ranked four in the nation. The first quarter saw St.John’s take a fast lead scoring 28 points without a response from Hamline. The first half ended with Hamline down by 49. The second half slowed down, with St.John’s only scoring 21 points in the third and fourth quarters. By the end of the game Hamline had a total of 121 offensive yards, St. John’s had four times as many with 550 yards. The majority of Hamline’s yardage came from their passing game. Senior Conner Leavens passed for 7/18 with the most yards being sent to first-year Tyler Dobbs who had the game high of 32 yards. Defensively first-year Carson Reinard showed what he could do with nine total tackles in the night followed by senior Monty Stenroos with seven total tackles. Hamline’s season will wrap up with a game against Augsburg at the Sea Foam Stadium.

Women’s Basketball

@ Crown 73-44 W

The pipers opened up their season traveling to Crown College. After ending last season 13-12 the Pipers needed to start their momentum early in order to improve their record this season. With an early start Hamline went up by 11 points before Crown was able to respond. This early lead was pushed further and further with Hamline not giving up the lead a single time in the entire game. The first two quarters saw Hamline up by 31 points. The second half of the game Hamline only scored 29 points to Crown’s 19. The game ended 73-44. Senior Reilly Geistfield was the high scorer with 25 points in the game shooting two for four from the three. Sophomore Sophie Findel had six rebounds to mark the team high. Hamline is set to go on the road for the rest of November with their next home game being Dec. 4 against Gustavus Adolphus.