Hamline heats up at the Fireball

Kristina Remus, Reporter

Hamline University’s Fireball event attracts students from far and wide, whether they are Hamline students or visiting guests. The annual semiformal dance is traditionally held off-campus. Tickets were a mere $5, making this event accessible to many. This year, students had the pleasure of celebrating at the Machine Shop venue in Minneapolis. Located in the St. Anthony neighborhood, Fireball 2019 kicked off just steps from the Mississippi River in a historically modern setting.

Shuttles were offered from the Bishop on campus around every half-hour. This was a great option for transportation to and from the dance, especially considering the venue is in Minneapolis. The coordinators of this event promoted the shuttle transportation as a way to avoid dangerous situations such as drinking and driving. Although a majority of the attendees were underage, there were many 21+ students who took advantage of the cash bar provided at the Machine Shop.

Students were encouraged to dress formally and enjoy the night with friends, a date or even solo. The attire of this event ranged from full-blown black tie to simpler, more casual outfits. Fireball is a chance to showcase your sense of style and dress as fancy, or as casual, as you like. Some students opted for comfort over style, while others could have been walking down a Hollywood red carpet.

The Machine Shop provided the perfect location for this year’s Fireball. With beautiful high ceilings and an open floor plan, it was ideal for dancing the night away. On the second floor of the space, a variety of sampling food was offered.

Whether you attended Fireball 2019 with a date or a group of friends, the Hamline University Programming Board made sure to cover all the bases. Upbeat music, free food and drinks, transportation to and from the venue, a cash bar and so much more was provided in hopes of Hamline’s students letting loose.