Music faculty takes a turn in the spotlight

“From the Heart” shows off the immense talent of Hamline’s professors.

Ann Marie Leimbach, Variety Editor

Lunchtime on a cold Monday might not be the most opportune time for a concert, but plenty of students, faculty and friends braved the snow to show support for our dedicated teachers. Feb. 25’s “From the Heart” noontime recital saw performances from music professors George Chu and Yali You with accompaniment by Anton Melnichenko on piano.

To begin, Professor Chu sang “Five Songs of Roger Quilter,” a series of poems by British writers set to music by Quilter. The songs included William Blake’s “Dream Valley” and Shakespeare’s “O Mistress Mine.” Chu’s clear tenor rang throughout the hall.

Next, Professor You played two songs on cello: “Jacqueline’s Tears,” composed by Jacques Offenbach and a toccata originally attributed to Girolamo Frescobaldi, but actually composed by Gaspar Cassado. As always, Professor You’s cello playing was passionate and heartfelt, filling everyone with emotion.

Professor Chu concluded the short recital with “Four Songs of Richard Strauss.” The four German melodies were “Die Nacht (Night),” “Nichts (Nothing),” “Breit Uber Mein Haupt (Over my Head)” and “Morgen (Tomorrow).” Each was a short and sweet song about love.

Fellow music professor Kathy Thomsen attended the performance as well. In regards to the performance, she said, “Great, terrific, they played and sang beautifully.”

Thomsen was also very pleased with the program’s attendance.

“I was delighted to see so many people in the audience,” Thomson said.

The large turnout was very much deserved, and it is good to be reminded how lucky we are to have such talented faculty at Hamline.