Who can celebrate Black History Month?

Ros-Marie Athiley, Opinion Editor

Black History Month (BHM) has come a long way since Negro History Week in 1926. Almost 100 years later the month is filled with celebration, education and honor of the often neglected contributions African-Americans have made to the United States and is celebrated all over the world. Carter Godwin Woodson, the creator of Negro History Week would be proud. As is the aim of the event, the focus is on Black people but does that limit who can celebrate?

President Gerald Ford decreed Black History Month a national observance in 1976 and said in his address “In celebrating Black History Month we can seize the opportunity to honor the too-often neglected accomplishments of black Americans in every area of endeavor throughout our history.”

I think it is safe to assume that when President Gerald Ford said “we”, he was referring to people of all races and ethnicities. 

In a month where one race is highlighted, I can understand the sentiment of feeling like it is not for you if you’re not Black.

However, Black people don’t have a monopoly on BHM. Everyone can celebrate and I highly encourage anyone who feels so inclined to do so, appropriately.

I said appropriately because people with good intentions can make the mistake of appropriating cultures, doing something hurtful and offensive. The eggshells are fragile so be intentional and aware of your actions and words.

How do you celebrate as a non-Black person? The internet has provided loads of appropriate ways and I took the liberty of Google searching so you don’t have to. If you for some reason don’t trust my research skills, I’d recommend sending inquiries out into the Twitterverse, I’m sure you’ll get some very impassioned answers.

As students in college, an accessible way to celebrate BHM is by supporting Black student organizations. The Black Student Collective is celebrating 50 years this school year and there are still BHM events to attend. Hamline African Student Association as well as our new Ethiopian and Eritrean Student Union (EESU) are also Black student organizations on campus, check out an EESU dance workshop.

If you’re not extroverted enough for events, BHM is a time when people focus on educating themselves about Black history. Preferably not the learning a fact a day about the same main characters (Martin Luther King Junior, Rosa Parks and Malcolm X) that seem to dominate BHM but picking a field, a genre or a specific person and really diving into who/what they were/are and what was accomplished. Reading African-American literature or going to a museum are other educational opportunities.

#SupportBlackBusinesses. That’s been trending for a while now and I am all for this. Just made sure you’re supporting a local, non-gentrified, authentic Black-owned business. Do your research before supporting. Also support doesn’t have to mean spending money, sharing their social media and helping them get more customers is another other way.

Educating yourself about African American history and celebrating shouldn’t be limited to one month out of the twelve but if this is the only month you feel the urge to, please do. We’re going to celebrate with or without you so might as well join in on the fun and learn a thing or two.