To the polls and back

HUSC and the Wesley Center will be giving students rides to the polls on Election Day.

Jasmine Lee

Jessica Yang ‘19 Economics Affairs Committee (EAC) Chair, in the driver seat of a Hamline van that will be used to shuttle students back and forth to the polls next week.

Kelly Holm, Senior Reporter

Although the voter precinct for Hamline students living on campus, the Hamline Hi-Rise at 777 Hamline Ave N, is only a few blocks away, many factors such as bad weather, injury or simply the incentive of a quicker time voting could motivate students to take advantage of a free ride on behalf of HUSC and the Wesley Center.

From 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 6, volunteers such as HUSC President Liam Davis Temple will be driving students to the polls.

Students residing on campus have the Hi-Rise as their designated polling location, as they live on the east side of Snelling Avenue. Commuters from the opposite side of Snelling, however, can vote right across the street at Hamline Elementary School.

“We have posters all around,” Davis Temple said of efforts to promote awareness for the free rides to the polls. “[President Miller] put in [an email] that we’re giving people rides to the polls, and we’ll send out an email, and we’ll also be tabling in Anderson.”

Davis Temple believes the rides to the polls will be popular, notingthat students were quick to take advantage of the opportunity during the 2016 presidential election.

“People like it, because [the Hi-Rise] is like, three blocks away, so it’s a little farther, especially if it’s a cold day or whatever,” Davis Temple said. “You don’t have to wait, you don’t have to plan, and it’s nice ‘cause we’ll also have sheets that just list all the candidates that we give to people in the van.”

He also expressed a desire to help students who are not already registered with same-day registration once they are inside the polling place.

Starting at 7 a.m., on-campus students can wait at the Bishop.for one of two grey 15-passenger vans featuring Hamline’s logo to drive them to the Hi-Rise. If commuter students are uncertain about their polling station, they can use the Polling Place Finder on the Minnesota Secretary of State website.