Hamline starts by believing

Start by Believing supports survivors of sexual violence.

Chloe McElmury

Rally attendees were encouraged to pledge to “Start by believing” by signing.

Emily Lazear, Reporter

Patti Klein, Title IX Coordinator and Dean of Students, described Start by Believing as a national campaign, encouraging first responders to react with compassion when someone comes forward with an allegation of sexual harassment or assault.

Public Safety Officers were donning teal shirts printed with the words “Start by Believing” on Tuesday, Sep. 18, in correspondence with a rally of the same name.

“When we train all of our first responders,” Klein said, “RAs, NSMs, coaches, Public Safety, our counselors — we train them to Start by Believing.”

She noted that not only current Hamline students can come to the Title IX office to report sexual assault, but alumni are welcome too.

“Whether it happened here on campus or not,” Klein said, “if it happened while you were a student or not, know that there are still resources and support for you… regardless of when and where it happened.”

Hamline joined Ramsey County and SOS Sexual Violence Services of Ramsey County in the Start by Believing campaign in September of 2017.

The Rally involved different community leaders taking turns explaining why they will “Start by Believing” and why the campaign is important to our community.Though the event was held during convocation hour in the Anderson Center Atrium, the attendance was low, as noted by Hamline University President Fayneese Miller.

“I wish more students were here to hear this,” Miller said.

She also pointed out a connection to our current news cycle.

“As I’m listening to the confirmation hearings of Kavanaugh, I think of Anita Hill and the division that occurred because people did not believe her.” Miller said.

Miller is referring to the sexual harassment Hill accused then Supreme Court nominee, now Associate Judge Clarence Thomas of in 1991.

Student Body President Liam Temple also spoke about his support.