New Student Survival Guide

Seven tips for new students.

Ann Leimbach, Variety Editor

Whether we want to admit it or not, everyone was a new student once, and when you’re a new student there are things that your NSMs just don’t tell you. So to save you the strife of being a confused first year, here are 7 things you need to know.

1. If you have a car on campus, get a parking permit.

Parking permits are $199 for the year or $99 for single semesters. Stop by the Office of Public Safety to purchase one. Remember, you must register your vehicle online before obtaining a parking permit.

1. Get a Go-To card for the bus.

If you don’t have a car on campus, consider getting a Go-To card from metro-transit. Much easier than digging around for change, you can just scan your card when you get on the bus. There are many options for cards, so go to metrotransit.org to find out more.

1. Get familiar with Google Calendar

Many of your classmates and professors will use it to set meetings up and share their schedules. Knowing how it works now will save you a lot of time in the future.

1. Get to know the printers

Sooner or later you’re going to have to print something out, and using the printers here can be confusing. First, send the file you need printed to mobileprint@hamline.edu, and attach it to the email in PDF form. Log into a printer by scanning your ID card, go into secure print where your PDF file will show up. Make sure to select your PDF file and not the email or else you’ll get a blank piece of paper you paid 10 cents for. Before you hit print go into options to ensure black and white is selected so you don’t have to pay for color when you don’t use it. Remember to log out once you’re done!

1. Understand your resources.

There are a lot of resources on campus if you need them, whether you need help writing a paper, logging in or a ride to Target, there’s something for you. Go to Hamline.edu and select “Resources for current students” to see them all.

1. Eat!

This seems like an obvious one, but sometimes you get busy. People try to scare you with “the freshman 15,” but health is more important than appearances. Try to eat three meals a day if you can. The new All-Access meal plan makes that easier than ever if you live on campus. If you’re experiencing food insecurity Hamline has resources for you as well.

1. Wear shoes in the shower

Although the custodians put a lot of work into keeping the communal areas clean in the dorms, you can’t account for everything. Wearing flip-flops or crocs in the shower or to the bathroom is the best way to protect from funguses like athlete’s foot.