Let’s talk about accessibility

HUSC hosts its first accessibility fair.

Photo by Rose Marie Athiley

Acessibility banner to be signed for the new Accessibility pledge.

Rose Marie Athiley, Reporter

Hamline Undergraduate Student Congress (HUSC) is staying true to their resolution to improve accessibility on our campus. They hosted their first accessibility fair on Apr 26. The fair was a part of HUSC’s ongoing efforts to increase awareness about the lack of accessibility on campus. The fair speeches were given by HUSC president Sara Antony, Director of Disability Services, Steve Anderson, president-elect Liam Temple and Disability Representative Collin Hopkins. Hopkins led the speeches and gave insight into how the focus on accessibility came to be.

“I tried to find networks to talk about disability on our campus and I realized that most of our networks weren’t there,” Hopkins said. “So I said hey, let’s start the conversation. Let’s talk about accessibility. Let’s talk about the struggles that our peers experience everyday… let’s make our campus better, FOR EVERYONE.”

The fair included tables that focused on informing students about the difference accessibility issues. The goal was to encourage student to think about where and how they navigate campus during their everyday schedules. Students were encouraged to sign a pledge to accessibility that read: By signing, you pledge to contribute to making Hamline University a more accessible campus and think where you eat, play, live, learn, study, move and “go”. Students are encouraged to use #accesshamline when they see an accessibility issue on campus to increase awareness and play a role in as Hopkins said making “our campus better for everyone.”