Break-ins spark conversation

Despite the recent theft around campus, one student still feels right at home.

Brianna Skildum, Reporter

In the surrounding Midway neighborhood, there have been multiple break-ins, including one at the Hamline PRIDE house, located at 737 North Asbury St., which happened on Oct. 2 at 12 p.m. Others were at houses on Snelling and all three break-ins were within the past two weeks. Despite this though, junior Caleb Schley, a student who lived in a house that was broken into, still finds the Hamline community a safe welcoming area.

“The Hamline-Midway area is a nice area with a strong community presence,” Schley said “From Hamline University, Hamline Elementary, all of the small businesses in the area, the public library, and a lot of community groups that are doing really fun and good work.”

Schley was more worried about safety and less about the physical possessions that were stolen during the incident.

“I really wasn’t scared about the incident that much. [I’m] honestly just glad that they only took a few items that in time can be replaced. Nobody was hurt is the biggest concern,” Schley said.

When asked about the details of the incident, Schley said that people were actually home while their things were being stolen, and that they didn’t pay any attention to someone coming in the house, because there are multiple students who live there who all come and go at any time of day.

“People don’t want to have to steal; it is usually because they are desperate,” Schley said “I think this situation is a decent example of that because my credit card was stolen and the only purchase that was put on it was for groceries. It wasn’t for any extravagant purchases, just some groceries.”

Safety and Security sent out an email on Oct. 2 with tips on how to keep houses and belongings safe. They recommend locking all windows and doors, not keeping valuables in plain sight and becoming acquainted with neighbors around you. If suspicious activity is happening on or around campus, contact Safety and Security at 651-523-2100