Sex brought to Light

Peer Ed brings a flavorful way to learn about sex education.

Sam Lindquist, Reporter

Dimly lit lamps, condoms of every variety including glow in the dark and flavored and dipping chocolate- this was the scene at last Wednesday’s event, Sex in the Dark.

Peer Educations’ (Peer Ed) event Sex in the Dark had the highest attendance that it has ever had, according to Peer Ed Lead Team member and senior Ciarra Humphrey.

“Sex in the Dark is an open event that allows us to openly talk about sex in a comfortable, safe space. This year was highly attended, more than I have seen in my years with Peer Education.” Humphrey said.

First-year Dieu Do attended the event and commented that she thought the event was worthwhile and informative, saying “Sex In the Dark was very entertaining and super beneficial to young men and women who aren’t informed about sex and sex-related topics.”

Humphrey says that the point of the event, and of Peer Education as a whole, is to ensure that college students understand the implications of their decisions.

“We are giving students the resources that if they choose to make these decisions, they can do it in a safe way and know where to find help if things go awry. There are a lot of stereotypes about sex and college and we are working to break those and have an open discussion about the topic and make everyone more comfortable,” Humphrey said. “By having this event we educate our campus in a fun way that gets everyone involved and more educated while using our surrounding resources and community.”

The event was held in Anderson, and consisted of several Peer Ed leaders answering anonymously submitted questions from Hamline students, all related to sexual health. There was also a sexual health themed game of Bingo, in which participants would answer questions related to sexual health.

The event attracted around 50 people, ranging from first-years to seniors. Participants who won Bingo received sex related prizes such as educational books, dice games and glow in dark in the condoms.

According to peer ed leaders, the general intent of Sex in the Dark is to educate college students how to engage in sexual activity in a safe and fun way. Peer Ed members think it’s important to be open and honest about sexual health, especially on a college campus.

In addition to Bingo, there were also several other stations; one called Dirty Dining, which included a two-player competition to try to guess what the flavor of the condom before the other person; another table contained beer goggles, to simulate the effects of how being under the influence can change a person’s ability to have safe sex. A birth control table was also present, which presented several different kinds of birth control and the risks and benefits associated with each.

“The condom Bingo, Flash game and information booths were educational and had a spunky twist,” Do commented.

As a favor for attending the event, students had the option to take free condoms, and what Peer Ed calls Safer Sex packets, which is a small baggy that includes a condom, an information sheet about safe sex, lubrication and a piece of candy.

“The chocolate strawberries and marshmallows were to die for. Overall I had a great experience and highly recommend this event,” Do said.

Peer Education is hoping to have the same success at its next event, What’s for Dinner, which is on October 25 from 4:00-5:30 p.m. in Anderson 111, and will teach students about healthy choices college students can make in eating Anderson food, and several other healthy eating tips.