Homecoming Week encourages artistic talent

Homecoming Fine Arts Competition provides a unique experience in relation to other events throughout the week

Homecoming is often advertised as an event focused largely on athletics, with the football game being the focal point of the week. Students who get more involved in the week’s events realize that there is more to Homecoming Week than just the big game. At Hamline, Homecoming Week focuses on much more than athletics, with the arts being just as important throughout the events of the week.

This year, Hamline’s Fine Arts Competition was added to the events of Homecoming Week. Students were encouraged to submit pieces of art to be put on display on the night of Tuesday, October 10. There were few limits on what kinds of art could be submitted, with many different mediums and forms of art being accepted and sought out.

Students who attended the competition walked through a gallery of student-submitted art on the third floor of Anderson. There were ink drawings, watercolor and acrylic paint submissions, digital medias and even some 3D sculptures.

“I thought it was great to see other students work,” said Czarina Albanese, a first-year student at Hamline. “There are some amazing artists here and it was great to see their showcase.”

At the end of their gallery walk, attendees were able to vote for their favorite piece in the gallery. The pieces with the most student votes won a student’s choice award and a cash prize.

Along with the student’s choice award, a panel of judges walked the gallery and chose what, in their minds, the top three art pieces were. These three pieces won cash prizes and had their art submitted to the Hamline University website.

Those who attended the event were also treated to free snacks and drinks, including pita, pretzels, dips and apple cider. Outside the event, there were tables set up to encourage and allow students to vote on homecoming royalty. These extra amenities made the event feel more connected to Homecoming Week.

Events like the Fine Arts Competition help move the focus from Homecoming away from purely athletics. These events make Homecoming Week more focused on the unique abilities of the students on Hamline’s campus, allowing for a deeper understanding and appreciation to be built between students.