Piper Pride Coming Out to Campus

Hamline is recognizing the past and present with events for LGBTQIA+ History Month and National Coming out Day.

Sabrina Merritt, Reporter

Be ready to mark your calendars, folks! Not only is October LGBTQIA+ History Month, but October 11 marks National Coming Out Day. Here at Hamline, our LGBTQIA+ organizations are holding a plethora of events to honor and celebrate past and present members of the queer community. The month kicked off with a screening and discussion of Out North. The documentary, which officially premiers October 16 on TPT, tells the story of LGBTQIA+ activism and LGBTQIA+ spaces in Minnesota. Student Programming Assistant, junior Conner Suddick was ecstatic about the showing.

“It is crucial to take a closer look at our home, and to not overlook the life we may take for granted,” Suddick said. Out North’s director, Daniel Bergin, was present at the screening, and led students in a discussion about the film’s creation, as well as the state’s connection to queer history. The following days were filled with other events such as “Mythbusting Pronouns,” lunch and a discussion with LGBTQIA+ identified staff.

“Hamline is a open and accepting place,” first-year Kira Paul, who identifies as pansexual, said. Paul believes it is necessary to celebrate people from all different backgrounds in the LGBTQIA+ community.

While a whole month devoted to LGBTQIA+ history may seem extraneous to some, especially with all June devoted to pride, Emilie Laik sees a huge importance for the month. Laik is a fellow Programming Assistant with the Sexualities and Gender Diversity Office.

“Queer history is complex,” Laik said, “and is largely ignored in the grand scheme of the history we all know.” To Laik, Pride Month is about who the community is now, and LGBTQIA+ History Month is about those who paved the way for Pride. Spectrum, Hamline’s LGBTQIA+ student organization, has taken incentive to plan events to commemorate LGBT history and educate students about the LGBTQIA+ community and National Coming Out Day.

The Coming Out Week celebrations begin on October 11 with a Coming Out Vigil held at Bush Chapel starting at 7 p.m. On October 12 in Anderson 111 at 7 p.m., there will be an announced keynote speaker. On October 18 at 7 p.m., there will a queer sex education event and on October 20 a Queer Cabaret will be held at 8:30 p.m., both also taking place in Anderson 111. These events were originally planned for the week of October 11, but were postponed as not to conflict with homecoming. First-years eager to move up in the FYSem Throwdown, be aware that the keynote and cabaret will be Throwdown events. Come and support Hamline’s LGBTQIA+ community while scoring some points for your FYSem!

The Sexualities and Gender Diversity Office believes it is important to hold LGBTQIA+ events to build a strong community and to help students know their identities are valid. In November, the office will hold an annual retreat entitled Q-Unity which will focus on intersectionality. Registration closes October 13.The Sexualities and Gender Diversity Office can always be reached through queer@hamline.edu, or by searching Hamline University Sexualities and Gender Diversity Initiatives on Facebook.