Weekly MIAC round-up: As of March 15

Josh Dungan, Sports Editor

Lacrosse

vs. Northland, 22-3 W

vs. Cornell, 17-2 W

vs. Dubuque, 8-3 W

Learning how to bounce back from defeat is key for any team looking to become a contender for a title. The women’s lacrosse team has done a bang-up job of it so far. After being blown out 4-21 by Colorado College, the Pipers took advantage of a three-game week to push their record to 3-1 with convincing wins over Northland, Cornell and Dubuque.

With three separate players tallying a hat trick of goals and junior attacker Dana Almquist one goal away from a double hat trick, the Pipers pounded Northland 22-3 in their first home game of the season. Hamline continued their successful homestand with a 17-2 shellacking of Cornell last Saturday, Mar. 11. That game saw three more players count hat tricks and the Pipers were up 13-0 at halftime.

Last Sunday’s game against the Dubuqe was the first time the Pipers had faced the Spartans since last season’s 11-12 last-second loss. The Pipers avenged last year’s defeat with a hard-fought 8-3 victory. Almquist led the team with yet another hat trick and now leads the team with 11 points.

The team returns to action this weekend when they travel to Illinois to take on Illinois Tech, last season’s runner-up in the MWLC, and Concordia-Chicago (Ill.), last season’s last-place team. The Illinois Tech game begins at 2:00 p.m. on Mar. 18, and the Concordia game begins Sunday Mar. 19 at noon.

Gymnastics

@ UW-Whitewater, 188.850-192.125 L

The gymnastics team had one of its best performances in years. Unfortunately, it wasn’t quite enough to overtake the home team, and the Pipers dropped their final regular season matchup 188.850-192.125 against the Warhawks of UW-Whitewater.

First-year Caitlin Cooper led the way for the Pipers, scoring a 9.600 on the vault as the only Piper to place higher than third at the meet. Sophomore Roise Giese and junior Alyssa Huch tied for third in the vault with a 9.575, junior Courtney Morrison tied for third on the balance beam with a 9.500, and junior Sydney Tribbett placed third on floor with a 9.675.

Hamline will compete in the WIAC Championships this Saturday, Mar. 17, the NCGA Team/All-Around Championships on Mar. 31 and the NCGA Individual Championships on Apr. 1.

Men’s Track

@ NCAA D-III Indoor Track/Field Meet

The men’s track team sent their top three shot putters to the NCAA D-III Indoor Track/Field Meet in Naperville, Ill., and all participants did very well. Sophomore Eric Dols just missed out on All-American honors, placing ninth by throwing 53-6.50. Eighth place is the cutoff for All-American, and Dols missed it by a mere 16 inches. Junior Travis Jacobson was tenth with a top throw of 52-6 and senior Chase Duwenhoegger placed 12th with a throw of 52.375. This was the second consecutive NCAA Track/Field meet participation for the three of them.

Both the women’s and men’s track teams open their outdoor competitive schedule at the St. John’s Invite on Mar. 25. Events are expected to begin at 1:00 p.m.

Baseball

vs. Buena Vista, 8-3 W, 14-0 W

The baseball team heads to Arizona on a high note after sweeping a late afternoon doubleheader against Buena Vista (IA) last Monday, Mar. 6. With just 11 total runs in their first four games, the Pipers were looking for their potent offense to finally come alive. And come alive it did.

The Pipers won game one 8-3 by scoring one run in the first inning, one in the third, three in the fourth, one in the fifth and two more in the sixth, and did all that by getting nothing more than singles and doubles by senior first baseman Jacob Picht and senior designated hitter  Rick Tormey.

Pitching in the first game was top-notch for the Pipers; they allowed just three runs (two earned), walked just two and struck out nine. Alex Bauermeister earned his first win of the season.

The second game was all about the Pipers’ offense. They scored 14 runs (only four were earned), forced three errors, stole two bases and took advantage of three wild pitches to blow Buena Vista out of U.S. Bank Stadium. Sophomore Nolan Schoonveld picked up his first win of the season, tossing five shutout innings, allowing just five hits, struck out two and didn’t walk anybody. Sophomore Nate Rubbelke and junior Zach Smith closed out the game in efficient fashion.

The team will now travel down to Arizona to play ten games in nine days to help them prepare for the MIAC season.

Softball

vs. Northland, 5-3 W, 5-0 W

The softball team opened their season with a doubleheader victory over Northland. See Rebecca’s story for more information on the sweep.

Men’s Tennis

@ St. Mary’s, 3-6 L

The men’s tennis team lost for the first time in four matches when they took on St. Mary’s last Friday. The Pipers dropped a tough 3-6 decision to their MIAC rivals and have opened their conference season with a 1-2 record after beating St. Olaf and losing to St. Mary’s and Gustavus Adolphus.

The Pipers will travel down to Florida for four matches over spring break before returning to continue their conference schedule in earnest. Check the Hamline website for game time information.

Women’s Tennis

@ St. Mary’s, 0-9 L

vs. St. Kate’s, 0-9 L

The women’s tennis team continued a tough start to their competitive season with their sixth and seventh straight losses against St. Mary’s and St. Kate’s. The Pipers have been swept in five of their seven matches and won just one game in two others. Only their season-opening game against Southwest Minnesota State saw the Pipers come out with two matches.

As with the men’s team, the women’s tennis team will be heading down to Florida before returning to Minnesota to continue their conference schedule.