Ribbon cutting ties up old issues

Faculty and students share excitement regarding the new Center for Justice and Law.

Courtney Yokes, Reporter

After the shocking results of this year’s election, Hamline was pleased to open the new Center for Justice and Law, which took place in West Hall, an environment for students of all majors to collaborate and work on issues in both the law and justice system. The center hopes to advance justice by creating achievable and concrete solutions for both legal and policy concerns.

The ceremony began with Sociology Professor Máel Embser-Herbert warmly welcoming Professor Leondra Hanson, the director of the Center for Justice and Law.

“I’ve been a part of lots of projects and organizations, but this is my favorite. I’m very excited to see what this center brings for our campus,” Hanson said.

This center holds a lot of opportunities for students and faculty, according to Embser-Herbert. It’ll give them a place to focus on and find possible solutions to issues like Black Lives Matter, bias within the field of justice and law and the school-to-prison pipeline, a nationwide issue where children are directed out of schools and into the juvenile and criminal justice systems.

Professor Letitia Basford who teaches in the School of Education said, “I’ve been involved with many projects, done lots of research on prison pipeline and presented lectures around educational matters, and I’m certain this center will bring people together and help educate them on movements of the generation like Black Lives Matter.”

Hanson then introduced one of her students, sophomore Conner Suddick, to the podium.

“What we learn here will help us make change out there,” Suddick said.

Suddick then introduced President Miller.

“It is a center that brings together so many entities, a show-piece for the university,” Miller said.

Miller has expressed a deep connection with the center since she feels it relates with her background in conducting studies on school-based truancy and on race and gender bias in the courts.

“This center resonates with who I am, and we need this center, especially in Minnesota.” Miller said, regarding the disappointment and discouragement with the outcome of this year’s presidential election that many students and faculty feel on campus.

“I’m very excited for this center and for the sense of community it’ll bring to campus, it’s especially important to me being a transfer student,” said Brittani Terwilliger, a senior majoring in criminal justice.

On behalf of the spirit of the election, Management, Marketing and Public Administration Professor Jim Scheibel said, “This center is about making America great again, about filling the gaps. That’s the work of this center.”

The ceremony ended when reelected Minnesota Supreme Court Associate Justice Natalie Hudson said, “I’m honored to be here given this moment in time where our country is fractured. However I believe Hamline is more than qualified to be a leader on these difficult issues and times in our country.”

Together Hudson and Gwen Lerner, J.D. class of ’78, cut the ribbon, hoping to spread encouragement and light for all those involved in the new Center for Law and Justice.