Graves leading youthful Pipers

Pipers finding leadership on team with just two seniors in point guard and future MD Graves.

Arianna Valenzuela-Zazueta, Reporter

Floor general and senior point guard Chloe Graves does more than just dominate the court for the women’s basketball team. Along with her four years in the team, she dedicates her time in her studies. Like most students who participate in a sport, she has a variety of interests besides basketball such as music and pursuing a career in exercise science.

“I really love music and singing,” Graves said. “[I] would never do it in front of any one because I know I’m awful, but I enjoy it anyways.”

The moment Graves graduated from high school, she was recruited by Coach Kerri M. Stockwell. Graves brings a lot competence and enthusiasm to their games as well as great leadership skills, according to Stockwell.

“Her leadership for our players—they listen to her, they respect her and she wants to do the things that is going to help us be successful as a team,” Stockwell said. “She’s brought that forward and her teammates have responded on it so I think that speaks well on her leadership.”

Graves has played basketball for nearly 19 years, so it was important for her to make sure she picked a school that will keep her participating in what she loves doing most. While in the process of deciding what school to attend, Graves knew her heart was set on Hamline.

“I loved how Hamline had a focus of diversity and inclusivity,” Graves said. “The breadth of knowledge I knew I could attain attending this university made my decision to very easy.”

Graves explained how her team has helped her mold into the woman she is today. Graves is proud to say that she is confident and strong as a woman, and because of her team, she is motivated to be the best version of herself. Graves expressed her experience with the team to be truly indescribable.

“It’s so impactful to be surrounded by strong women who continuously push me to be the best version of myself,” Graves said. “They are all my people.”

Graves reveals her ardor for her team and basketball overall. Looking back at her years at Hamline, Graves reminisces about her experience with her team.

“Basketball is my personal sanctuary, and they make my happy place that much better. It’s one thing to be able to show up every day and compete; it’s another to really enjoy the people who are right there next to you,” Graves said.

Along with basketball being of one her passions, Graves wants to pursue a degree in exercise science with a concentration in pre-physical therapy. Her plans after college are to attend physical therapy school in the summer and hopefully get a doctorate degree.

“I want to pursue a post-doctorate and become a pediatric physical therapist,” Graves said.

The women’s basketball team has nine new players who come from different states. Stockwell expresses how proud she is of her team.

“We had some really great performances from our upperclassmen and [from] our freshmen as well,” Stockwell said. “I am very excited because they all bring a lot—a lot of different things that will help our team this year.”

Women’s basketball plays next on Nov. 18 at 5:30 p.m. at North Central.