Pipers stop Oles cold

Men’s hockey picks up twin wins in six point weekend.

Taylor Geer

Hamline junior forwards Brandon Reinholz (28) and Kerry McGlynn (20) attempt to deflect St. Olaf forward’s shot, senior defenseman Dan Bartkowiak (26) at the ready.

Alexie Demarais, Reporter

Expectations and efforts were combined to create a nonstop weekend for Hamline men’s hockey. The team added a pair of wins to their MIAC season with 4-1 and 5-4 victories over St. Olaf on Nov. 4 and 5.

After losing six players last year, preparation for the start of MIAC season unfortunately meant extra efforts from returning players.

“We lost a lot of great players from last season’s team,” Head Coach Cory Laylin said. “Guys have stepped up and filled those spots.”

After a 2-2 tie against Augsburg and a 5-3 win over Bethel in the MIAC Showcase, the Pipers entered their first weekend of conference play against St. Olaf. Sophomore defender Mitch Hall expected the first period to immediately set the tone for the weekend.

“We expected St. Olaf to put out two strong efforts,” Hall said.

These expectations were met when, after ten minutes in the first period, sophomore forward Mitch McPherson scored his first goal of the season in a power play. The Pipers went up 3-1 after tallying twice in the second, the first goal within the first minute. St. Olaf’s goal would be their last, and the Pipers finally closed the deal with a power play goal from junior forward Russ Jordan with the assistance of Hall and junior defender Jesse Kessler.

Hamline fans had filled the stands with gusto and admiration for the game. They were not let down as the game was fast-paced with shot after shot and fantastic defense and offense lines. The Pipers put 31 shots on net against St. Olaf sophomore goalie Eric Hancock.

Saturday night’s game was played on St. Olaf’s turf at the Northfield Ice Arena. The game saw the first test of the Pipers’ resolve as the Oles put three past Hamline goaltender John Sellie-Hanson by the second period. However, away ice wasn’t going to halt the efforts of the Pipers. The Pipers came back with four unanswered goals and came out in front. After a shorthanded goal scored by St. Olaf’s Drew Otto, the Pipers broke through on the power play when Jordan scored his third goal of the weekend to put the Pipers ahead for good.

The Pipers came away with five goals on 39 shots scored by junior forward Jaycob McCombs, junior defender Garrett Schmitz and Kessler, McPherson and Jordan.

Laylin expects the Pipers to be a tough team to beat this season, and this first six point weekend of conference puts them one step closer to making it to the MIAC playoffs and to the NCAA tournament.

The Pipers will be playing in Wisconsin next weekend, taking on UW-River Falls Friday and UW-Superior Saturday. Both games begin at 7:00 p.m.