Ask the Dean(s)

Alan Sickbert, Dean of Students

In response to the Staff Editorial in the April 20th edition of the Oracle I would like to try to respond to “three of the five things we want to know”.

In looking at how our dollars are spent, let me give you information for what I do know and I will look for more detailed information on what I do not know for sure.

For the student activity fee of $290 it is split 3 ways-

• HUSC-$90 for year.
  • Media Board – $38 for year.
  • Student Activities Board and Intramural – $162 for year.

Total $290 per year.

As far as breakdown of budget, our Vice President of Finance, Margaret Tunsgeth indicates that for the overall budget, 41% goes toward financial aid for students, 45% for compensation and overhead, 3% for debt service and 11% for facilities expense. As far as specific revenue, 85% for the university is from tuition and

15 % from other sources like auxiliaries and fundraising.

What plans are there for the empty space in the Law School building?

Currently there is a committee that looks at capital improvements and space decisions that are considering a variety of ideas for the law school space. The goal is to use the space for bringing departments and services together to better serve students and to emphasize collaborative space for like departments and organizations. In some cases this may be to relocate an office or space that currently is costing us rent expense or to be more public and easier to access for help.

Some examples –

• Bringing all of the School of education into one space or area. They currently are in multiple locations.
  •  Move School of Business faculty from CLA into space connected to the Business school.
  • Combining Student services, such as Residential Life, Dean of Students, Title IX office, Case Management, Disability Services or others into one space that could serve as a one stop service area.
  • Consideration is being given to using some of the space in the lower level of the law school building to better accommodate the needs of our commuter students and our veteran students. These are two groups who in the past we haven’t met the needs of as well as we feel is appropriate.

No decision has been made final at this point, but the goal is to utilize this space as wisely and as purposefully as possible.

Why aren’t there more healthy options in the C-Store?

The new Dining Service manager, Ed Kreitzman is planning to do so. Paige Natzke and Kiana Verdugo from HUSC are planning to ask students what they would like to have in the C-Store and what do they consider healthy foods. This will occur as part of Town Hall tabling that will occur in the Anderson Center. Ed is taking this information and looking at not only this survey information but also information from the dietary restrictions committee about what could be sold in the C-Store that would help students with restricted diets like gluten free and celiac restrictions.

In addition, more vending will be placed on campus with healthier drinks and food choices.

Many of these questions about the C-store, tuition expenditures and the law school have been topics at weekly HUSC general assembly’s throughout the year. HUSC also has representatives on many campus committees where they represent student’s voice on many of the issues So, contact HUSC representatives with questions and things you want to know about. Their names and email addresses are available on the HUSC website.

Keep the questions coming; the Dean(s) are happy to answer questions.

Alan Sickbert
Dean of Students