Hamline sculptures experience long-awaited renaissance

Hamline displays student sculptures and revives aluminum foundry in memory of late professor.

Charlie Siddons

These caged dolls in front of Bush Memorial Library came right in time for Sexual Awareness Month at Hamline.

Melody Yabandith, Reporter

Caged dolls, geometric aliens, a wave of trash and even a tornado tomato planter. Many students have been scratching their heads around campus trying to figure out where these mysterious figures came from. We can thank Sculpture I and II students for this new and intriguing décor.

Publically installed student sculptures are new and exciting for students and faculty alike. What sparked such a change? A new sculpture professor. Allison Baker, assistant professor, is not only experiencing her first year at Hamline but also in Minnesota. She is also a sculptor and her work has been exhibited at zoos, parks, business centers and even at Franconia Sculpture Park in Shafer, Minnesota. She has brought to Hamline an expertise and love for the arts as well as the “go get ‘em” attitude that inspires her students to push themselves and their art beyond the limits. If you are interested in viewing Baker’s works you can visit her website: http://www.allisonbaker.com.

However, not everyone is entirely excited about these pieces. Earlier this semester a publicly displayed piece was taken down without warning by an unknown source. This piece featured two swings and were installed in Giddens Learning Center. Also, the tornado tomato planter has caused a minor nuisance for some groundskeepers on campus.

Baker believes that some of these pieces “deal with matters that are pertinent and particularly relevant at Hamline at the moment,” referring to the caged dolls on display in front of Bush Memorial Library. This piece is especially powerful and ultimately is up to each person’s interpretation but it is hard not to relate these caged dolls to the recent events on campus concerning sexual violence.

Students interested in sculpture and other art mediums should consider attending the Sexual Violence Intersectionality Art Gala which promotes Sexual Violence Awareness Month and is scheduled for April 28 from 7-10 p.m. in Anderson Center Room 111/112.

These pieces are just the start though. For the first time in 15 years, the sculpture’s aluminum foundry is up and running which will allow students to make aluminum molds and so far it looks like the most unique project yet. Baker refers to the revival of the aluminum foundry as the Michael Price memorial. Price was a sculpture professor at Hamline for many years until he was diagnosed with cancer and passed away a short while later.  He is most widely recognized for his bronze sculpture of F. Scott Fitzgerald located in Rice Park.

So be on the lookout for these aluminum sculptures around campus later this spring. Following the display of these sculptures, we can expect an open studio event to showcase all the talent from Sculpture I and II this year. The dates have not been set for open studios, but you can expect to see the creative posters donning the halls on campus very soon.