Groundswell has everything Minnesotan!

Eclectic Coffee Shop pays Tribute to Local Artists, and Local Food.

Melody Yabandith

The “Minnesota Nice” cookie paired with a Spicy Maple Cortado are the perfect afternoon pick-me­ up, or study snack.

Melody Yabandith, Reporter

The word Groundswell (pronounced ground–swell) refers to a “surge” of enthusiasm or approval. A surge of approval is exactly what Groundswell has received from the locals that favor this trendy coffee shop located on Midway, a few short blocks from Hamline.

The storefront is fresh, and the ambience inside is comfortable yet lively. The decor oozes a sense of Minnesotan pride, including: Minnesota-shaped pillows, Minnesota-inspired artwork and even smells of Minnesotan–brewed coffee, Dogwood. The goods sold at Groundswell include HWY North decorations and Regan’s Brain pillows. The walls are covered in artwork with Minnesota area codes and even a print that features Paul Bunyan paying homage to The Beatles.

The menu doesn’t lack in taste either. Most items can be made vegan or gluten -free, and reminds me of Mom’s cooking, with a little more flavor and relevance! The weekend brunch menu includes a Brioche french toast made with Lingonberry, the lunch menu includes a Wild Rice Sausage Flatbread, and for Dessert a “Minnesota Nice” cookie.

Unfortunately, they don’t offer a student discount, but their prices are affordable; an average entree at Groundswell costs around $10. Did I mention they have cupcakes and a liquor license? If you are thinking of bringing friends, stop in on a Tuesday for Trivia Night (Trivia begins at 7:00, and round two begins at 8:00).