How being civil can make a difference

Krista Tippett gives the Mahle Lecture.

Shelby St. Pierre, Copy Editor

She’s met President Obama and interviewed the Dalai Lama. Krista Tippett, author and journalist, came to Hamline for two events recently— an interview and to give the Mahle Lecture in progressive Christian thought. Tippett hosts a public radio show called ‘On Being’ and has won a Peabody award and the 2014 National Humanities medal.

On Thursday night, she was interviewed by Hamline’s very own Professor of Religion, Dr. Deanna Thompson. After attending Yale Divinity school together, the conversation was easy. Thompson covered Tippets highlight career moments; when Tippett received the National Humanities medal from President Obama, how she got started on public radio, why she decided to change the name of her public radio show from ‘Speaking of Faith’ to ‘ On Being’ and the idea of changing the world.

Later that night Tippett gave the Mahle lecture ‘Religious Life, Public Life and the Adventure of Civility.’  Tippett opened her lecture by discussing her Civil Conversation Project. She focuses on people’s public life as professionals, scholars, students, citizens, ect. She asks the question, “what does it mean to be human?” and “who we are to each other as humans?”

As she continued with her lecture, she gave four pieces of what she called “encouragements.”

The first one was “Words Matter.” She explained that language shapes how we understand ourselves and others, and that words give a voice to people.

Second, was “Rediscover Questions as Civic Tools.” Tippett describes this as being when two opposing sides don’t find common ground, but are still able to have a civil conversation and ask questions. She said, “Live the questions now” and  “live your way into the answers [together].”

Third, was “We get to honor what we face.” She says that we should honor the difficult times and find and create a safe space. Tippett said, “when in doubt, practice hospitality.” She explained that we need to make human connections because change begins within the human heart, and then a movement happens.

Finally, she said that we need to “develop eyes to see, and ears to hear.” Tippett said this is a great spiritual discipline, and that we should listen and learn from others—especially our elders.

You can find Krista Tippett’s public radio show ‘On Being’ on ITunes podcast.