“Lil Mamas” get the gold at the lip sync competition

The 10th annual Homecoming Lip Sync Competition left fans cheering for more.

Winners of the 2015 Lip Sync Battle “Lil Mamas” who performed to the song “Lip Gloss.”

Isabel Shafer, Reporter

Students were roaring with energy at the 10th annual Lip Sync Competition on Friday, Oct. 2.  The homecoming event was held at the Anderson student center at 8:00 p.m.   

The six contestants in the show this year were judged on authenticity, originality, crowd reaction, and ability to lip sync.  A group of young girls called the “Lil Mamas” won first place with a prize of $250. 

“Lil Mamas” lip synced to the classic song “Lip Gloss.”  The group included Tiara Arradondo-Hunter, Netta Thomas, Tottiana Duffy, Zinzile Sibanda, Jasmine Tappin and Jenella Powell. 

Wendy Burns-Roberson, Director of Student Leadership and Activities, says that the Lip Sync Competition gives “students the option to celebrate each other, being at Hamline and being a part of the homecoming week.” 

There were five other acts that performed songs from Wicked, Mulan, The Lizzie McGuire Movie, and High School Musical.  The song “My Life Would Suck Without You,” by Kelly Clarkson was also presented. 

Duffy said they didn’t have much time to prepare for the lip sync battle.  “We found out about it on Sunday, and for five days straight we practiced all day.” 

The opening act of the night was done by several New Student Mentors, who lip synced and danced to a variety of songs. 

In Burns-Roberson’s opinion, the best strategy to winning the competition is to “have a song the audience will connect with.  There also should be a ‘wow’ factor and to be able to connect with the audience beyond the song, such as with facial expressions.” 

After the contestants completed their piece, Dr. Javier Gutierrez, Assistant Dean of Students and Director of Residential Life, and Burns-Roberson had their own lip sync competition.  They both lip synced to several popular, hip-hop songs.  The competition between the two became intense. 

A first-time spectator, Matthew Pratt, was intrigued by the song from High School Musical the most.  He also added that he would recommend this event for anyone to attend.