All ZAP-ped Out

Underage drinking is being taken far more seriously with the introduction of ZAP.

Elena Jimenez, Columnist

It’s a funny thing when you go to college: there is a culture shock that happens to the incoming freshmen that the rest of the students find amusing. There is the freshmen “15”, the “being early to class”, and, of course, actually looking good for class. Amongst all of these, the biggest culture shock is the culture around drinking. Many have this unspoken understanding that drinking is allowed; no matter what age you are; once you get to college. Sports teams and other clubs participate in liquor based hazing and sexual assaults have become more numerous with the help of the “date rape” drug, Rohypnol. However, despite this culture that has been passed down many generations, Ramsey and other counties are intervening on how these students, who are not of legal age, are participating in such an intense and influential “party culture”.

Zero Alcohol Providers, or better known as ZAP, is a development that is similar to a “Dram Shop” Law, Hamline Law School Graduate Attorney Shawn Betts explains: in Minnesota, we hold the consumers of liquor as well as the providers of liquor, such as restaurants and bars, accountable for subsequent action. For example, if someone were to drink too much at Buffalo Wild Wings and cause damage after leaving, then the server would be held liable for over serving liquor to that individual. According to Ivars Krievans; the attorney that handles Social Host Ordiances; St. Paul Police are teaming up with residents of St. Paul, landlords, local churches, and surrounding universities to help remedy the problem of rowdy house parties and underage drinking. Krievans says that they are more readily holding the hosts of the home accountable for the activities of said household. It is important to remember, however, that the police are not allowed to enter the residence without probable cause or being invited inside. A noise complaint is not enough, but other things just might be.

Residents are upset about finding passed out, drunk students on their property the morning after and are seeking the help of the police to hinder the trespassing on their properties. In addition of trespassing, students are belligerently walking around the premises and damaging the property of the host’s residence and the surrounding neighbor’s property.  The universities want to aid in limiting the disruption of college students in familial residences, especially if they are underage. Betts thinks it was a good idea to involve the administrations to further the punishment if students are not well representing their universities. However, the ZAP program is not directed at the minors who are drinking, but rather the “of age” individuals supplying the minors.

Supplying a minor with liquor has not only been an issue for house parties, but also for bars. Students have long been attending bars by the age of 21… but how? It is well known that fake ID’s exist. No matter their existence, the standard of care for liquor stores, bars, and restaurants must remain the same: high. Where, previously, supplying a minor was a gross misdemeanor, whether or not the minor suffered injury or damages, it is now the case that, since new legislation has passed, if the minor suffers injury or damage, the supplier faces a felony charge.

Whether or not the college culture agrees with this new “crack down”, it is important to understand the new consequences imposed on the providers. College is four years long and a felony charge can be up to 1 year in prison. What is most important to you in your college career?