Playing for pride

HU women’s hockey defeat St. Mary’s for the first time since 2007.

Senior Jordan Verleye watches the puck slip by the St. Mary’s Cardinals goalie as she scores the go-ahead goal to put the Pipers up 3-2 late in the third period. The goal was Verleye’s final home goal in her career and she finished the night with a goal and two assists.

Gino Terrell, Sports Editor

Junior forward Chelsea Koehn said the Pipers were “playing for pride” heading into their final conference series and even though they weren’t fighting for a playoff spot like St. Mary’s, Koehn said they wanted to win for the school and their seniors and they picked up a 3-2 upset in their home finale on Friday, Feb. 20.

“Our give a shit meter is really high right now,” head coach Steve DeBus said. “When your give a shit meter is high, I think you can accomplish anything.”

Last weekend, the Pipers faced the playoff bound St. Mary’s for a home-and-away two-game series with their home finale on Friday, Feb. 20, and the season finale Saturday, Feb. 21. Prior to last weekend, DeBus held an 0-4-2 record against St. Mary’s.

“They know over the last several years we’ve been snake bit,” DeBus said. “We haven’t come out of those weekends with more points, there’s times where I think we’re the better team.”

On Friday, the Pipers took control of the game in the first period when Koehn and senior Jordan Verleye found first-year Kelsey Rafferty for the game’s first goal; the goal was Rafferty’s 11th this season. Rafferty also ended the season tied at fifth, with Verleye, in the MIAC for goals.

“I think us first-years have really learned our role and what we need to do to be successful,” Rafferty said before the game. “I think that’s been a contributing factor to some of the wins we picked up.”

The weekend before St. Mary’s, Rafferty scored four goals in the Augsburg series with a hat trick in the Feb. 14 game and her final goal put the Auggies away, 5-4.

DeBus said the team’s improved goaltending also helped the Pipers late in the season and credits junior Mary Shefveland and sophomore Katie Beckman for protecting the net.

In game one against St. Mary’s, Shefveland held a shutout in the first period with 16 saves. In the second period, junior Haleigh Bolton scored the second goal of the night assisted by Verleye and Rafferty. The goal put the Pipers up 2-0.

St. Mary’s hung around and eventually knotted the game up at 2 in the third period after outshooting the Pipers. Determined to end her final home game on a high note, Verleye managed to slip the puck by the goalie on a contested attempted and once it hit the back of the net she lifted her arms in air and celebrated with her teammates.

Shefveland held off St. Mary’s to win 3-2, which is the first time the Pipers defeated St. Mary’s since Jan. 27, 2007. Shefveland recorded a career high with 48 saves and Verleye finished her final home game with a goal and two assists as the seniors were rewarded with a win.

Senior Sam Berger explained the end of her collegiate career felt surreal. Berger transferred from Wisconsin-Eau Claire to Hamline in the middle of her first-year and since then built strong relationships with her teammates.

“This team is a family though, so it’s going to take some time to accept that it’s over, but I wouldn’t trade the memories for anything,” Berger messaged via email.

Berger finished her career with 18 points placing her at 25 in Hamline’s all-time scoring list.

“She’s gotten better through the program and she’s learned,” DeBus said of Berger.

Third-year forward Mackenzie McCormack, who overcame an MCL injury midseason to make it back on the ice, also played her final game as she’ll be graduating a year early.

“Outstanding young woman and always took her academics seriously,” DeBus said.

McCormack has made the MIAC Academic All-Conference team multiple times in her career. McCormack said she was in disbelief when her 18-year hockey career was coming to a close but grateful she experienced playing on a collegiate level.

“A lot of my friends growing up didn’t get the chance to play college hockey,” McCormack said. “I’ll miss playing games…the competitiveness in games and the flow, especially in games where there’s not a lot of whistles.”

Verleye scored her final goal in the team’s 2-1 loss in the season finale against St. Mary’s. The goal gave her 70 career points ranking her fifth on Hamline’s all-time list.

“She’s had a fabulous career, she’ll be missed just because she does so many things well, a good player,” DeBus said.
Koehn said it’ll be different playing without Verleye next year as they have been teammates for six years.

As the Pipers look to next year they have some pieces remaining. Koehn is 12th in the MIAC with points with 18 and Shefveland is fifth in the MIAC with 400 saves. Shefveland also recorded the first shutout the team has had in two years against St. Benedict on Feb. 6.

“It’s an honor,” Shefveland said about being in the top five for saves. “I definitely couldn’t have done it without my teammates and defense.”

Shefveland said over the offseason she’ll work on her athleticism and in doing so will join Hamline’s track team as a sprinter.

The Pipers finished the season 6-17-2 (4-12-2 MIAC), however, Koehn doesn’t believe it’s a true reflection to the team’s heart and believes the Pipers will turn things around next year.

“I think this is the most skill and the closest that we’ve ever been as a team,” Koehn said. “You feel like you’re a part of family with this team and I think this is a great thing to take into next year.”