Seniors don’t hold back in their final days

In their last appearance on the field as Pipers, the senior class close out their seasons on a positive note in hopes of team improvement for the next season.

Alex Piche, Reporter

The men’s and women’s soccer teams finished their seasons this past Saturday, Nov. 2. Despite their seasons coming to an end, both teams finished the season strong. The women were able to win 4-1 against Gustavus while the men fell 2-0 to Gustavus.

Men’s Soccer

The loss for the men’s team was their only loss in the final four games of the season. This placed them 8th in the MIAC with a record of 2-7-1, and brought them to 6-10-1 overall. Regardless of their record, the seniors on the team had positive thoughts about their season.

“The team’s performance this year has been very impressive regardless of our record,” senior Greg Northrop said. “We have shown a lot of resiliency throughout the season, which has been different compared to previous seasons. Our late season win streak and back-to-back MIAC wins are just the beginning of what this program can, and will be, in the future.”

Fellow senior Michael Murphy agreed with Northrop.

“There are so many positives to take away from the season. Although our record doesn’t reflect it, we were the better soccer team in the majority of each match,” Murphy said. “Last year, we began to rebuild a new culture that will make this program relevant and a force to [reckon] with in the near future. This season picked up right where we left off. Not only have we created a culture that will continue to grow in success, but it also will find itself building successful individuals for their post-undergraduate careers [and] lives.”

Before playing their final game on Saturday, Murphy and Northrop expressed their thoughts on their final days as Pipers.

“I am really going to miss these years, but I can at least go out knowing I did everything I could to make a difference in this program,” Murphy said. “ I’m not ready for this to end.”

Northrop’s words were equally bittersweet.

“Part of me wishes I had more years left to take part in the journey of where this program is going, but the other part of me knows I have done my job the past four years and it is time to pass the torch,” Northrop said.

Although the end is quickly approaching, the sadness does not diminish their experience playing for Hamline.

“[It was] incredible,” Northrop said. “By far the best experience I could have asked for.”

Murphy was also able to put it into perspective.

“A few words will never be able to capture my experience with these guys over four years,” Murphy said. “I have built more friendships and memories that have shaped me into the person I am today, and these guys will be a part of the rest of my life.”

Murphy and Northrop also shared a bit of advice for the players who will return next year.

“Never settle for where you or the team [is] at,” Murphy said.

Northrop said they should remember to “stay the course.”

Women’s Soccer

The women’s team also finished up their season and celebrated senior day with another win finishing the season 6-1-1 in their final eight games. The Pipers finish 6-4-1, 6th in the MIAC, and 9-6-3 overall. Despite the strong finish to the season, Hamline missed out on the play-offs by one win.

On Saturday, five seniors led the Pipers to their third straight winning season. When Brienne Garside, Corinne Henning, Alyssa Koulentis, Molly Jacobs and Hannah Plagman arrived as first-years, the Hamline women’s soccer team had never had a winning season. Their first season they went 0-11 in the MIAC, but on Saturday they finished as the most successful senior class in Hamline women’s soccer history with three straight winning seasons.

Before Saturday’s game the seniors shared some thoughts on this season and their experience on Hamline’s soccer team.

Molly Jacobs did not let the injury she suffered in her senior year have a negative impact on her experience this season.

“The team’s performance this year has been great, although our record does not represent that, our team has had one of the most successful years in Hamline’s history,” Jacobs said.

Jacobs, who was injured early in the season, was able to make the start in goal on senior day playing briefly before being replaced.

“My experience with Hamline women’s soccer team is something I never want to change,” Jacobs said. “The memories, the experiences and the records we have broken, has shown just how special of a program Hamline has. Our coaching staff every year has given us all their effort, and knowledge that has helped us to be who we are today.”

Jacobs shared her advice for the returning players.

“Never forget all that you have done to lead up to this point of playing college soccer. Never forget to be grateful for the talent, speed [and] ability you have been given and worked for,” Jacobs said. “Finally, never forget all the memories you make with your teammates in the four years you’re here at Hamline because no matter what the final record is, you have grown more as a person then you’ll ever recognize until you’re standing at your senior game reflecting at all the history you have made.”

After opening the game with two goals by first-years Grace Nichols and Mayla Hirshkowitz, it was the seniors who secured the victory with the final two goals. Both Garside and were able to cap off their Piper careers by finding the back of the net, while Henning and Plagman carried the play in the midfield.

Before the game, Garside spoke about her final season in the Hamline University uniform.

“I think as a team we have played really hard this season and have had a couple unfortunate 1-0 losses, which could have gone either way,” Garside said. “We really started to pick it up in the second half of the season and had some good wins. Now we have the chance today to beat a school record, which is exciting.”

As Garside wants to enjoy her last game as a Piper, she will miss suiting up come game time, but is thrilled she had the chance to continue her career at the collegiate level.

“I am excited but nervous for today’s game. I want my team and I to play well this last game and to end on a good note,” Garside said. “The HUWS team is such a great group of girls. It has been such a great experience and I have learned a lot, not only about soccer but life lessons as well. It has been a treat to be able to have had the opportunity to play on this team.”

Garside’s advises returners to appreciate every moment on the field.

“Play your heart out and have fun,” said Garside. “It goes by so quickly.”

Following Saturday’s win, Koulentis was very proud of her team performance in the game and throughout the entire season.

“I think we had a solid performance overall,” Koulentis said. “Sadly we were one game away from making playoffs, but we beat the school record for wins in a season so I couldn’t be more proud.”

In her last collegiate game, Koulentis felt a wide range range of emotions.

“It’s a bittersweet feeling. Knowing this is my last game I like to look at it as a celebration, a celebration of a great season, teammates, coaches and wonderful memories,” Koulentis said. “Now I’m ready to take on the next chapters of life. This experience has been nothing but great. …My senior class and I came to a program that was being rebuilt and I really feel like we accomplished our goals by becoming a top team in the conference to compete with after a lot of hard work after these past four years.”

Before moving on, Koulentis also shared some advice for the returning Pipers.

“Take care of the little things, and continue to work hard every day,” Koulentis said.

The future looks bright for both the men’s and women’s soccer teams at Hamline University going into their upcoming seasons.

Returning players have solid seasons to build on, and graduating seniors will leave lasting legacies on their programs. These players are responsible for any future success the Pipers may have on the soccer field, and will be remembered for many seasons to come.