Men’s soccer gains new fan club

Hamline’s soccer team seeks to increase their fan section at home games with their new fan club.

Gino Terrell, Senior Reporter

The Midway Social Club was established this season as Hamline’s men’s soccer fan club.

“The reason why it’s called the Midway Social Club is because, one, we are in the Midway…and it’s a social club because it’s not just about soccer really, it’s more about connecting socially and supporting our program and ultimately supporting Hamline,” Alex Morawiecki, men’s soccer head coach, said.

The idea for the fan club came from the team’s head coach Alex Morawiecki, who believes the existence of the club will boost the attendance at Pat Paterson Fields and help members to build connections with other students at Hamline University.

When Morawiecki coached Xavier University’s soccer team from 2010 to 2011, a fan club for his team was started during his tenure.

“[The fan club] started with about five or six [students] and has now grown into becoming one of the biggest student organizations on campus,” he said.

Morawiecki decided to propose the idea of a Hamline soccer team fan club because he really thought it would work within the Hamline community.

“I love this neighborhood and where we are located and we wanted to make that the forefront of who we are: we are Hamline, we are in the Midway,” he said. “We are really lucky and fortunate to have a field so close to campus and dormitories and student life that we feel that we have a good opportunity for students to come see a match and become a part of our program…it’s entertaining and a good place to watch a game.”

Along with the fan club boosting attendance for the men’s soccer team, Morawiecki hopes the club will bring long lasting success.

“We want to start something. A tradition that students are proud of and can really become an extension of our program and something that they look forward to in the fall months,” he said.

The soccer team has planned to hold a few gatherings on premium games where they would provide food and drinks for members of the Midway Social Club. After the socializing, the club would walk over to Pat Paterson Field.

“One of the cool things about being in a fan group is that they meet beforehand and typically have some food and enjoy each other’s company. Then all walk to the match together,” Morawiecki said.

The schedule for the soccer games are typically midday or early afternoon on weekends.

“There’s a lot of opportunities to be there during the week, after classes, for students to come out and watch us play and also on Saturdays if [students] are looking for something to do,” he said.

On Thursday, Aug. 12, during convocation, the team will be on Anderson Center’s patio. They will have a table set up where students can sign up to be a member of the Midway Social Club, which is free to join.

“Anybody [can join], you don’t even have to know what soccer is yet, just come and enjoy it,” Morawiecki said. “We’ll teach them how to be a good a fan and it’s a positive experience for everybody…whoever comes out will certainly enjoy the energy and the positive vibe of what we want it to be.”

The men’s soccer team has won the first two home games to kick off the season. They are undefeated at home and will return to Pat Paterson Fields on Sunday Sept. 15 to face Aurora.