Hamline volleyball reflects on historical season

The Pipers finish the season with their first playoff appearance since 2007.

Pipers huddle during a timeout break in their playoff game against St. Benedict to listen to head coach Becky Egan’s pep talk. (Photo by Gino Terrell)

Gino Terrell, Senior Reporter

The ball sailed over the net but landed just left of the boundary line, and the scoreboard switched to 25-16 in the St. Benedict Blazers favor and the third set ended. The Pipers lost 3-0 last Tuesday during the playoffs, which marked the end of their historical season.

“The match versus St. Ben’s exposed us a little bit. We didn’t have answers to their game plan against us,” said Pipers’ head coach Becky Egan. “We are adamantly using that and our other weaknesses as motivation [for next year].”

Junior captain Lynsey Reimer was disappointed with the game’s outcome, but proud of the team’s progression this season.

“I think we’ve really made a name for ourselves,” Reimer said. “I’m just proud of us. Proud of what we accomplished. It sucks for it to end, it’s sad, but I’m ready for next year.”

The Pipers finished the year with a record of 19-14 overall and 6-6 in conference play. Their playoff appearance was their first since 2007.

“We have come a long way and it’s really exciting to finally see the output of the hard work we’ve been putting in the past two years,” said junior captain Paige Walters.

The team also had three athletes named to the All-MIAC team: senior captain Sam Greeney-Hamlin, senior Molly Hurrle, and Reimer, who was also named Co-Defensive Player of the Year.

“It’s just an honor. I’m very proud. Just to know that hard work does pay off and it can get you somewhere. I’m very proud of Sam and Molly as well. They worked really hard and they deserve it,” Reimer said.

Hurrle, a transfer student, was a new edition to the MIAC and was shocked she was named to the All-MIAC team.

“I never expected that, coming in and only being here one year. To make that type of impression, that’s pretty exciting,” Hurrle said.

She explained the team’s progress was far greater than what she anticipated. However, early on in the season, after a third set comeback to beat Gustavus, she had a feeling the Pipers would be contenders in the MIAC.

“That’s when I knew we had it in us to win challenging games in challenging sets,” Hurrle said. “Making that big of a change in one season with pretty much the same exact [roster] is pretty crazy.”

Walters attributed this season’s turnaround to their new coaching staff. She said they brought new energy and a new attitude to the Pipers. In the previous 2012 season, when they finished 1-10 in the MIAC, she said the team went into games hoping to win, but expecting a loss.

However, this season when they played the top team’s she said it was different.

“It was like we could actually give them a run for their money,” Walters said.

Reimer said when the new coaching staff arrived they made it clear that they would make some changes in their style of play and training, and by adhering to their method the team would ultimately improve.

Reimer cited the coach’s message when they first arrived: “You can either buy-in or you cannot buy-in. It’s going to be fun if you buy-in and you’re probably not going to want to be here if you don’t.”

From there on the team was dedicated to changing. Ultimately, their dedication is what transformed the team into contenders in the MIAC this season as they earned their first conference playoff bid in six years.

“They pushed for us to believe in their process. It proved to work,” Reimer said. “You set a goal; you believe in the process and get good outcomes.”

Hurrle explained the coaches worked on self-improvement.

“Changing [our mindset to] what Hamline volleyball does and not what other people do. Making it Hamline volleyball on our side of the court,” she said.

Egan was impressed with the team’s commitment and growth.

“The hard work and grind that our student-athletes endured this season was amazing,” Egan said. “[They made] positive changes in their mental and physical game.”

Egan said she was also shocked with the support they had.

“The fan base we had this year was more than our team ever anticipated,” she said. “To have them follow us to St. Ben’s just showed the support and buzz there is around our sport. I want them to know there’s more to come in the following years.”

Reimer also expressed her appreciation to the growing fan base.

“Thank you guys for sticking with us the entire season. Next year is going to be fun too,” she said.

Reimer added that the team is not “one and done.” She said the team is determined to make another run next season and look to host a playoff game at Hutton Arena.

“That’s a very realistic goal for us, to be a high seed in a playoff game,” she said.

All but two players, Hurrle and Greeney-Hamlin, will be returning next year.

Four-year starter Greeney-Hamlin played her final season as a Piper. Early on in her career she endured losing seasons with the program, however, she felt with this season’s success it was well-worth it.

“I’m absolutely proud of the transformation that the Hamline volleyball program has made. I feel really lucky to have been a part of it. It’s been quite the ride,” she said. “I wouldn’t have had it any other way. I have made every individual goal I’ve set and team goal.”

Greeney-Hamlin said their team identity has changed greatly in just one year.

“The way we are looked at in the MIAC has changed a lot from when I came in. We were kind of a pushover team…no one took us seriously,” she said. “Teams are somewhat nervous to play us now. They know that there’s a good chance that any team could win.”

She left a piece of advice for returning athletes: “Buy into Hamline athletics. It’s extremely rewarding and you’re able to create a lot of relationships, both with teammates and a coaching staff, that will definitely last,” Greeney-Hamlin said. “It goes by fast. Take it all in because it’s by before you can even imagine.”