Weekly MIAC round-up

MIAC update as of April 26

Josh Dungan, Sports Editor

Here’s what’s happened in the MIAC  for the Pipers since our last update:

Women’s Track

@ St. John’s Invite, 1st place/13

vs. Hamline Invite

@ UW-LaCrosse, 8th place/16

@ Holst Invitational, unscored

The women’s track team had a fairly good month despite only being graded in two of their four meets. They showed their depth in the St. John’s meet, where they placed first with an impressive 92.5 points, 21 points better than second-place St. Ben’s.

Sophomore Madeline Dopp won the 3000-meter Steeplechase with a time of 11:44.44. Senior Gabby Koel took first place in the discus with a 136-6 throw, beating out first-year teammate Jessie Juenemann, who threw 131-1 for second place.

They didn’t manage to match their first-place finish in their UW-LaCrosse meet, but they did finish in the top half of the field. the Pipers were paced by sophomore Gabrielle Brown’s second-place finish in the 100-meter hurdles and Dopp’s third-place finish in the 3000-meter Steeplechase.

For more information on Hamline’s performance in their scored as well as their unscored meets, check out the Hamline athletics website.

Lacrosse

@ northwestern (MN), 20-9 W

@ Concordia (WI), 8-15 L

@ Augsburg (MN), 17-11 W

vs. Beloit (WI), 12-1 W

vs. Southwestern (MN), 18-7 W

The lacrosse team has played well all season long, and that continued since the last check-in with the lady lax players. Hamline has lost just once in April, and it was an 8-15 loss to Concordia (WI), the top team in the conference.

Their 12-1 win against Beloit last Saturday, Apr. 22 was enough to secure Hamline a playoff spot in their first season competing in the Midwestern Women’s Lacrosse Conference. Hamline will place no lower than third in the MWLC, and will either take on Concordia (WI) or Illinois Tech in the first round in the playoffs. The Pipers will close their season with away games against conference foe Monmouth and Augustana on Apr. 29 and 30. Both game times are scheduled for 2:00 p.m.

Men’s Tennis

vs. Concordia (MN), 7-2 W

vs. UW-Eau Claire, 1-8 L

vs. UMN-Morris (MN), 9-0 W

vs. Carleton (MN), 1-8 L

Hamline’s men’s tennis team hasn’t had a particularly strong season, but a strong final three matches could find them in the playoffs anyway. With three matches remaining in their season, Hamline is currently tied for fifth place in the MIAC.

Hamline has had a back-and-forth last four matches, going 1-1 against both conference and non-conference foes. They counted a 7-2 win against Concordia and a 1-8 loss against Carleton in conference and a 9-0 win against UMN-Morris and a 1-8 loss against UW-Eau Claire in out-of-conference matches.

Hamline’s hope for the season rests on away matches with St. John’s and Bethel and a regular-season-ending home match against Macalester. Keep an eye out for more coverage of the men’s tennis team and their push for the postseason.

Women’s Tennis

vs. Concordia (MN), 8-1 W

@ Bethel (MN), 1-8 L

vs. Macalester (MN), 4-5 L

The women’s tennis team continued their rough season over the last few weeks. An 8-1 victory over Concordia was just their second victory on the season, and they followed up that dominant win over Concordia with a blowout loss against Bethel.

They had their closest loss of the season against Macalester, when they lost 4-5. Hamline picked up victories in their top two singles pairs and numbers one and three doubles, but weren’t able to pick up a win in any other match. With a match against UW-Stout that went final after publication, the women’s tennis team returns to action this evening with a 5:00 p.m. home matchup against UW-River Falls and closes out their season with a home match against St. Ben’s this Saturday.

Men’s Track

@ St. John’s Invite, 4th place/12

vs. Tomcat Invite, unscored

@ UW-LaCrosse, 6th place/19

@ Holst Invitational, unscored

The Pipers couldn’t quite match the first-place finish of their female counterparts in the St. John’s meet, but the men still finished fourth in a twelve-team field for a fairly impressive finish all the same.

The Pipers were first and third in the hammer throw, with sophomore Eric Dols placing first with a 173-11 throw and junior Travis Jacobson placing third with a 172-10 toss. Junior Thane Widmer took second in the 100-meter dash with a run of 11.60. Isaac Krause also took home a silver medal, taking second in the 800-meter run, just .2 seconds out of first place.

The men’s team scored another first place finish in the UW-Lacrosse meet, with Jacobson taking first in the shot put and senior Anthony Tyler taking first in the discus. Senior Chase Duwenhoegger placed second behind Jacobson in the put and sixth in the discus. Dols placed second in the hammer throw. For more information on the men’s track performances, check out the Hamline athletics webpage.

Baseball

vs. Macalester, 1-7 L, 5-4 W (F/13)

vs. UMN-Morris, 5-4 W, 4-5 L

@ Gustavus Adolphus, 4-16 L, 8-3 W

vs. St. John’s, 3-4 L, 6-8 L

@ Bethel, 9-10 L (F/10), 4-9 L

@ Concordia, 0-4 L, 9-4 W

The baseball team has had a rough go of it in recent weeks, with just four wins since our last publication of this round-up article. Check out pg. 11’s top article for more information about the baseball team and their struggles this season.

Softball

vs. Macalester, 4-5 L, 6-0 W

@ St. Olaf, 1-2 (F/9), 7-0 W

vs. St. Thomas, 6-0 W, 17-10 W

vs. Bethel, 5-2 W. 1-10 L

vs. St. ben’s, 4-3 W, 4-10 L

@ St. Mary’s, 5-1 W, 8-5 W

vs. Concordia, 6-1 W, 10-0 W

The softball team has been doing great this season, and are currently ranked third in the MIAC after a strong month of April. For more information on how their season has gone, check out the article on pg. 11.