Weekly MIAC round-up: April 5

Josh Dungan, Sports Editor

Baseball

vs. Carleton, 11-9 W, 4-6 L

Comeback stories are the things of legend, those that are told years later and spoken of with a certain amount of reverence. After a tough trip down south to Arizona where they went 2-8, Hamline returned to Minnesota hoping to change their fortunes with the start of the MIAC conference schedule.

While they couldn’t pull off the sweep, their game one win over Augsburg last Saturday will be one of those stories that Piper fans talk about for years. It was in no way a good game for the Pipers, no matter the result. By the time the Pipers had retired Augsburg in the top of the fourth inning, the Auggies had just finished pushing their eighth run across the plate and led Hamline 8-1. A seven-run comeback is difficult for even major league teams to accomplish.

Hamline then pushed across two runs in the bottom of the fourth and fifth innings, which put the Pipers down 5-8 after five innings. A scoreless sixth inning on both sides led to one of the most exciting seventh innings in MIAC history. Augsburg pushed across one last run in the top of the seventh inning on a Hamline error to run their lead to 9-5.

The bottom of the seventh started off with a single by sophomore second baseman Nolan Schoonveld. Sophomore Trey Fails pinch-ran for Schoonveld, and after designated hitter Rick Tormey struck out, Fails advanced to third on a single by first-year shortstop Devin Rodgers and scored after an error by Carleton’s shortstop. First-year Noah Wolfe singled to load the bases and was immediately replaced by first-year pinch runner Zack Langton. Jacob Picht was hit by a pitch, which scored Hamline’s second run of the inning. Carleton then switched pitchers, and after senior Colin Olstad struck out, Joe Setrum stepped to the plate.

Bases loaded, two outs. Danielson in a jam. He threw. CRACK. The ball shot into the air and landed in the right field bleachers. Hamline had won, 11-9.

They had no such luck in repeating the miraculous comeback in game number two, as Augsburg jumped out to a 3-0 lead and despite a three-run comeback in the bottom of the ninth, Hamline fell just short and lost, 4-6. Their season continues today with a home doubleheader against Macalester. Game times are listed in the events section to the left.

Men’s Tennis

vs. St. Thomas, 1-8 L

The men’s tennis team took to the courts last Sunday at 3:00 p.m., hoping to even up their season record at 6-6 by taking on the Tommies of St. Thomas. It was not to be as the male Pipers dropped their fifth match in a row, 1-8. Juniors Gabe Guarin and Ben Klimek won at number two doubles, and the top doubles team of senior Cody Jahrig and Mark Johnson came close, but they were unable to pull off a victory for the Pipers. The Pipers return to action for a home doubleheader this Saturday, Apr. 8, as they take on Concordia and UW-Eau Claire. Game times are expected for 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.

Women’s Tennis

vs. St. Thomas, 0-9 L

The women’s tennis team had first crack against St. Thomas last Sunday, taking the courts at noon on Sunday. The team continued a very tough season to date, falling to the powerful Tommies 0-9. That loss dropped the Pipers to 1-10 overall in the 2017 season and 0-6 in MIAC conference play. With just six players on this year’s roster, this will be a rebuilding year for the Pipers, and they will have to battle for every last win they earn this season. Their season will continue this weekend as they play Concordia in a 2:00 p.m. home game this Saturday, Apr. 8 and travel to Arden Hills for a Sunday match against Bethel at 2:00 p.m.

Lacrosse

vs. Wartburg, 14-4 W

vs. Loras, 13-3 W

Hamline’s first season competing in the Midwest Women’s Lacrosse Conference has gone about as well as can be expected so far. Hamline has just one conference loss so far and, after last weekend’s games, is on a five-game winning streak.

Hamline’s latest victims were Wartburg and Loras, both of whom fell by identical ten goal differentials. Junior attacker Dana Almquist was on fire, tallying eight goals in the two games. Sophomore attacker Alycia Monserrate Novotny was locked in as well, scoring five goals. Hamline currently has the MWLC’s second-best goalscorer (Almquist has 39 goals), its second-best goalie (sophomore Molly Dionne has a 55.6 save percentage and has allowed just 59 goals against) and is third as a team in scoring (130 goals in 10 total games). The lady lax players played last night @ Northwestern and return to the field this Saturday for an away game against Concordia (WI).

Men’s Track

vs. Hamline Invite

The men had a great meet last Saturday in their second meet of the outdoor track and field season. Rebecca’s article has more.

Women’s Track

vs. Hamline Invite

The women’s team received plenty of solid performances across the board themselves and will be tough competitors in this year’s MIAC schedule. Again, Rebecca’s article has more.

Softball

vs. Carleton, 1-0 W, 6-5 W

@ Gustavus Adolphus, 4-1 W, 8-0 W

The softball team opened their MIAC conference schedule with a doubleheader victory over Carleton and a doubleheader sweep against Gustavus Adolphus. Hamline’s 4-0 start in MIAC play matches 2010 for their best start in the conference in school history. See Samantha’s story for more information on the sweep.

Gymnastics

According to the Hamline athletics page, five of Hamline’s senior gymnasts are to receive the NCGA All-American Academic Award. Those that qualify for this award must have a 3.0 GPA and be a senior in their final year of eligibility. The five gymnasts that are receiving the awards are Kathryn Bush, Madison Couves, Madeline Line, Cate Reynolds and Madeleine Sendek. Congrats to our gymnasts!