Cocoa beans, coffee dreams, Cahoots it seems

Cahoots Coffee Bar is welcoming and friendly to all.

Owner Saed Kakish stands behind the counter at Cahoots Coffee Bar. He used to be a customer at the shop before taking over in 1997.

Elise Christianson

Elise Christianson, Copy Chief

Filled with a diverse array of customers and sporting many crafts for sale along the walls and counters, Cahoots Coffee Bar is all about community when it comes to coffee.

Saed Kakish, owner of the coffee shop, took over the place on Halloween of 1997. It formerly belonged to a woman named Judith who decided that she wanted to sell the place.

“I used to actually be a customer here,” Kakish said. “I used to come and study and somehow it landed in my lap.”

However, when he took over, Kakish had a little help in making decisions in terms of redecorating and making the place his own.

“I [remodeled] by getting feedback from customers and having the customers in on it,” he said. “I wanted to make sure that [customers] felt like a part of the community.”

Macalester senior Sally French also mentioned that there is a sense of community among the workers and the customers.

“I feel very much a part of something when I’m here,” she said.

Both Kakish and French mentioned that there is low turnaround with the baristas, so it is easy to see “familiar faces.”

The variety in the menu allows customers to step out of their comfort zones with items that they might not be able to try elsewhere, such as a Moroccan Mocha or a Turkish Coffee.

“[The shop has] sort of turned into this international flavor,” Kakish said.

Customer Dave Barta usually only orders a plain coffee, but he mentioned the atmosphere as being “busy” as many people study or do work while there.

The diverse array of customers range from students to professors to retired people according to Kakish.

“That’s what makes it unique,” he said. “It’s a true community place.”

Coffee is not the only item that the shop serves, they also serve a variety of  ice cream, teas, juices and food.

In regards to food, French usually orders the Hummus Plate and enjoys that she can get food along with the coffee shop feel.

“[I can] sit and do homework and also get something to eat,” she said.

Other menu items include the Mediterranean Platter and a German Sausage Potato in addition to soups and chili.

Cahoots Coffee Bar has also received the Charlie Award for their Moroccan Mocha, a coffee filled with chocolate and African spices. The Charlies are awards for “celebrating the exceptional contributions of the Twin Cities food and beverage industry,” according to their website.

Similar to other coffee shops, Cahoots has free Wi-Fi and patio seating, but Kakish thinks that they are still unique with all of the other work that has been put into building the atmosphere.

“Just having a Starbucks on the corner, we needed to have something totally unique and different to survive a Starbucks,” he said.

Cahoots Coffee Bar is open Monday through Friday 6:30 a.m. to 10:30 p.m., Saturdays 7:00 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. and Sundays 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. They are located at 1562 Selby Avenue, about a 10 minute drive from Hamline.