A hidden gem in St. Paul

Lucy’s Coffee Café offers a bright setting amongst the plain looking buildings.

A mannequin decked out in beads and jewelry resided in the corner of the café.

Elise Christianson, Copy Chief

Hidden in the Griggs-Midway Building among businesses resides a quaint, little coffee shop: Lucy’s Coffee Café. Filled with bright colors and lots of decorations, this upbeat café serves everything from coffee to sandwiches.

Jordan [last name omitted] is the manager of the café, and he spoke on how the café got started.

“The owner was in a corporate marketing position and didn’t want to do that anymore so she started a café,” he said.

The owner, Julie Peck, named the café after her dog Lucy, who became ill and passed away in 2011. Lucy’s picture hangs on the wall behind the counter.

The café is a place that is inclusive to all with their Facebook page saying “We are deaf friendly and our owner signs. Stop by for a visit!”

A 12 ounce cup of coffee costs $1.65. The menu consists of not only coffee and pastries, but also lunch items such as hot and cold sandwiches.

“We have really good sandwiches and lunch. Most of the business we do is a lot of lunch.” Jordan said.

In addition, they offer catering for many of the surrounding businesses.

Occasionally, the café will host events and stay open after hours. Once a month, they hold a women’s veteran group and they also hold Goodwill events.

Peck also makes and sells her own jewelry in the café, and it fills the walls with decoration. In one corner, there is a mannequin covered from head to toe in jewelry that is made into an outfit.

“She does a lot of estate sales and stuff so she’ll buy bits and pieces and break them apart and put them together in different ways,” Jordan said.

The jewelry and handmade art are part of what gives the café its eccentric atmosphere.

“I think it’s fun,” first time customer Jeremy [last name omitted] said.

Another customer, Dave [last name omitted], also commented on the atmosphere saying that it was “casual” and “friendly.”

Dave frequents Lucy’s Coffee Café about once a month to get coffee before his business meeting that is held further up in the building.

With a lot of their customers coming from the surrounding businesses, Jordan thinks it would be a good place for students to frequent.

“We have a lot of fun, we’re very relaxed,” he said. “It’s a very friendly place, so [people] should come hang out.”

Lucy’s Coffee Café is located at 540 Fairview Ave N in St. Paul, about a five minute drive from campus. They are open from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and are closed on weekends.