Becoming global citizens

International Education Week allows students to explore other cultures.

Students gain perspective from other cultures at the There and Back Again poster fair.

Tim Schnell

Catherine Stolz, News Editor

With the goal of celebrating an exchange of cultures and promoting a more diverse learning environment, International Education Week brought together Hamline professors, students who have studies abroad, international students and visiting scholars. Students and faculty took part in events beginning on Monday, Nov. 14 and running the length of the week.

Events focused on countries from all over the world, from Rwanda to Cuba to India. Students and faculty who travelled to Rwanda had the opportunity to share their experiences and comment on the current and future situations in Rwanda, themes which continued in a photo exhibit, depicting students meeting with genocide survivors and visiting memorials and nonprofits.

Henna was also offered henna or “Mehndi” design, provided by the Hamline International Graduate Student Association, creating designs for men and women.

Visiting scholar Dr. Michele Friendner spoke during the International Roundtable series in a talk entitled “Signs of Value: Deaf Worlds in Urban India,” involving the use of technology and Information Technology Enabled Services (ITES) and the role they play in the lives of young adults.

The Bishop’s Bistro also participated in the week, serving up a different international dish at lunch every day. Dishes and recipes were submitted by Hamline’s international students.

There were also opportunities for students to learn about serving in the Peace Corps, earning a Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) certificate, and test their knowledge at global trivia.

International Education Week is part of a collaboration involving the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Education, and was organized by the Global Engagement Center.