Programming board ‘glows’ all out

The fifth annual Homecoming scavenger hunt takes place all around campus.

Chris Schaitberger, Reporter

Pipers young and old made their way across campus to Klas Plaza flaunting their school spirit. Competition was in the air, because at 9 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 5, Hamline University Programming Board’s fifth annual Glow Hunt began. Partners were then tied together at the waist and moved to the starting line, anxiously waiting to begin.

As soon as all participating duos were lined up and ready, they were given 20 minutes to search all around campus, collecting as many glow sticks as they could. In total, there were 700 scattered around with one bonus find, a glow stick ball acting as a score multiplier. The team that found this glow stick ball had their entire score increased by 10 times the amount of regular glow sticks that they found. Students then returned to get their glow sticks counted and hopefully grab a spot on their metaphorical podiums until first, second, and third place prizes were awarded.

“We found places on campus we didn’t even know existed,” said first-year Delaney Pederson.

And that was exactly what sophomore Tonya Le had in mind. With Homecoming being more heavily emphasized this year, Le made sure to expand the perimeters from just Klas field. This year glow sticks were found sticking out of the ground or hidden in bushes near Old Main.

“My idea was to do it around campus to promote Piper pride,” Le said.

The turnout met expectations with an estimated 130 participants, which was only a little shy of their projected number of 150.

After all of the glow sticks were counted up and scores adjusted, the three winning teams were set up in a line. Chris Hayes and Michael Risk had secured the grand prize with a score of 82 glow sticks. The victors didn’t get to keep their glow sticks, but they did walk home with a brand new iHome speaker.