Finally, the truth

Holbrook’s newest novel brings race issues to light.

Courtney Yokes, Reporter

“A Good Time for the Truth,” is a collection of sixteen essays about matters regarding race in Minnesota from local writers, including English and creative writing professor Carolyn Holbrook and Minneapolis Community and Technical College professors Shannon Gibney and Taiyon Coleman.

The reading began with a moment of silence for the victims of the St. Cloud stabbing and also for the recent victims of police brutality, including Philando Castile and Alton Sterling. The respectful silence for the victims started the reading off by acknowledging the reality that there are issues around race and police brutality.

The reading took place at the Minneapolis Central Library on the evening of Wednesday, Sept. 21. Students from Hamline University as well as others came to listen to what each author had to share from their essay in “A Good Time for the Truth,” published by the Minnesota Historical Society Press.

Gibney was the first to share an excerpt from her essay “Fear of a Black Mother” which discusses her experiences and fears of raising her son: “Because the truth is black life — here, in this country, and here in Minnesota — is as contingent as it’s ever been. No black mother who looks away from this reality is doing her child a favor.”

Coleman read next with an excerpt from her essay “Disparate Impacts” which discusses her time visiting the South and seeing the Confederate flag: “I thought that Minnesota was far enough north, and it was home to my music man, Prince, so, of course, it definitely could not be as racist as Alabama. Right?”

Lastly, Holbrook read from her essay “Say What?” which discusses her experience taking voice acting lessons and later practicing an interview with her coach over the phone: “What if I had asked him to give me a reason why I should take the black out of my voice?”

“Indeed there are unresolved racial issues at Hamline just as there are everywhere in our state and across the nation,” said Holbrook.

When asked about her book hoping to inspire others to take action, she said, “The book is already inspiring others to take action, both at Hamline and elsewhere. There have been many readings and discussions around the state.”

For questions specifically regarding Hamline, Holbrook said, “Four of the essays in the book are written by people with Hamline connections: myself, the editor Sun Ying Shin, a current MFA student and another who is a graduate of the MFA program. I am working with a group of faculty, staff and students to plan several events which will take on the campus and in the neighborhood. Our hope is that the events will inspire discussion and action.”