Five things we want to know

Staff

It’s difficult not to feel out of the loop as a student on a university campus. Even as student journalists who more often speak directly with administrators, we at The Oracle feel as though we are dealing with vague and carefully constructed answers most of the time.

What would we do for a straightforward answer from a member of the administration? Almost anything.

We came up with a short list of some of the questions we’ve had on our mind lately. Some of these are easier, and others we don’t expect to receive a simple answer. However, a little bit of bluntness and candor would be greatly appreciated.

How are our tuition dollars spent?

The more specific the information, the better. For example, we know from our bill that this year we paid a student activity fee of $290, but how is that money distributed? How much goes to HUSC, Programming Board and the Media Board? How much goes to our professors in comparison to administrators? And the big one—how much is relegated to athletics?

Why do I have to pay for printing?

Many schools offer some sort of printing credit—why doesn’t Hamline? Is the revenue from students’ printing fee so necessary that no leeway could be given? Students are expected to turn in dozens of papers during their college careers, and at ten—or twenty for color—cents per side, that can become costly in a short time.

How much do we actually spend on landscaping?

We understand the importance of a pretty campus; attracting new students is a big deal to any university. However, lawn-mowing every other day is undoubtedly an expensive—and noisy—endeavour. Could we, perhaps, cut back a little bit on our hedge-trimming, flower-tending and lawn-clipping?

What plans are in place for the empty space in the Law School?

It’s a huge building, after all. If anything, we are excited for the possibilities, but feel that we have been kept in the dark. Would student input as to the building’s use be a possibility? Either way, whatever new office, dorm or academic space arises from the old Law School, we can’t wait.

Why aren’t there more healthy options in the C-store?

Most of the on-campus dining options offer some degree of variety and nutrition in their food. So why does the C-Store, which ought to be an alternative to Bistro meals, provide sandwiches, fruit, snacks and even frozen dinners, yet no frozen vegetables? Beyond small, prepackaged salads, the selection of greens in the store is null.

We aren’t calling out bad decisions here; we are merely asking for more open lines of communication between us and the higher-ups. We, the students, feel disconnected from the administration, as we have little say in—or even knowledge of—many of their decisions.