Interlibrary Loan Coordinator Peloquin retires

Isabella De La Cruz, Reporter

In mid-December, long-time library staff member and current interlibrary loan coordinator Gail Peloquin is retiring after 45 years of service to the Hamline community.

Hired in 1970, Peloquin was here during the campus transition from the Carnegie Library, what now famously houses part of Giddens Learning Center, to the Bush Memorial Library. She was present when the library started exploring electronic resources and setting up their first computers and also remembers the infamous electrical fire that closed down the library for almost an entire school year in 2000.

An avid reader, knitter, and cross stitcher, Peloquin is looking forward to retirement.

“There are new things I want to try and I look forward to have some time to relax,” Peloquin said. She also plans to travel, saying “The trip I’m looking at next is Italy.”

Peloquin has held several roles during her tenure with Hamline including circulation librarian, access services coordinator, and interlibrary loan coordinator.  Her first impression of the Hamline community when she started was that “it was a very friendly place with a small home feel to it.”

Throughout her tenure, Peloquin adapted and endured significant changes in how libraries function with the advent of advanced digital technologies.“I’ve evolved and the library as a whole has evolved through all of the changes and technology. It has refreshed the job and made it new.” “I admire that,” said librarian Kate Borowske in response to Peloquin’s adaptability to the vast changes she’s faced while working in the library.

Peloquin thrived in her various roles and loved having the opportunity to interact with students, interested in helping them conduct research and the challenge of finding just the right resource that could help a student break through in their research and writing.

Passionate about helping students, Peloquin urges the community not to be afraid or feel overwhelmed to come into the library or use the librarians as a resource. “Never feel bad about the questions you’re asking us. We’re here to make your campus experience and library experience a good one.”

University librarian and long-time coworker Terry Metz wants the Hamline community to remember that much of the work Peloquin did for Hamline was often unobserved and behind the scenes. “Gail is a consistent performer who has supported and assisted over four decades of Hamline students and faculty.” A replacement has not yet been named for Peloquin’s position.

An open reception will be held by the University Library and Archives staff on the first floor of the library on Friday, Dec. 11 from 2:00-4:00 p.m. to celebrate Peloquin’s 45 years of service to Hamline.

While Peloquin is ready to pursue new adventures, she will miss the memories she’s made and the Hamline community that has always felt “home grown” to her.“I think if I felt I could not help bring that feeling forward I wouldn’t have stayed here for as long as I did.”