Hamline takes back the campus

Students and community come together to Take Back the Campus.

President+Fayneese+Miller+speaks+at+the+Take+Back+the+Campus+rally.+

Megan Schlangen

President Fayneese Miller speaks at the Take Back the Campus rally.

Megan Schlangen, Reporter

Anyone who walked across Old Main Lawn on Tuesday might have heard a bell ringing above the sounds of the students gathering together at the Take Back the Campus ally. The bell was a reminder that every two minutes someone in the United States is assaulted.

“This event raises awareness of intimate partner violence and gives power back to survivors. It makes them feel heard,” said Merry Snyder, a sophomore and president of Students Preventing Sexual Violence (SPSV). SPSV rang the bell and also created a poster for participants to show their support for survivors.

Other than visiting SPSV, popular activities to participate in included a table where one could make their own button to show their support for survivors or the cause.

There were also a few therapy dogs present. Many students enjoyed the opportunity to interact with the dogs and their partners to help relieve stress.

The Women’s Resource Center, Cards Against Harassment, and Threads of Hope tables were also popular and just a sampling of the nineteen tables representing Hamline and the community.

President Fayneese Miller was the opening speaker. She mentioned the event’s importance as well as the march on campus that would be held at the end. She encouraged all participants to use their voices and chant and to keep the conversation going long after the event.

“Don’t stop talking just because they don’t want to hear it again. Tough. They need to hear it over and over again,” said President Miller. This was the message to be carried throughout the night.

The night was filled with speakers representing various resources in the community including the MN Coalition for Battered Women and Sexual Violence Services of Ramsey County, as well as many others. Lynn O’Brien, a music therapist, filled the mall with her voice as she used music to empower individuals. HU Spectrum read aloud statistics and the names of transgender individuals that were killed in 2015 and had a moment of silence.

The keynote speaker for the event was Hamline University alumna Dr. Johnanna Ganz. She shared not only her experiences but also things that the community must do in order to come together and end violence. She highlighted the need to listen to victims and ask difficult questions. She stated that everyone must become a potential ally.

Following a performance by Hamline’s Gospel Choir, the evening ended with participants walking in a candlelit march around campus, chanting phrases such as “Hey Hey, Ho Ho, Patriarchy has got to go” and “Whatever I wear, wherever I go, yes means yes, and no means no.”

From 4 – 7 p.m.  on  Oct. 20 Hamline students and the surrounding community came together in support to rally against violence. As the representative from Green Dot said “No one can do everything but everyone needs to do something.” This rally served as a reminder that together we can take back the campus.